Sunday, November 13, 2011

Yay for young pianists!

I'm sitting in the parlor at Chapel of the Cross in Chapel Hill, waiting for Compline. (I was here for an organ recital, whose program I'll post here shortly.) I decided to stick around here to get some work done. (I have the laptop with me.)

The EYC usually have a Sunday evening program after the 5:15 pm service which includes dinner. I noticed that a young boy, I'd estimate to be no older than 8 or 9, sat down at the very-out-of-tune baby grand piano and started to play pieces from memory. He's really good! He also has excellent posture and technique at the keyboard. I hope he continues his lessons at the piano. If he's this good now, I can only imagine how good he'll be a few years from now.

Going back to the reason why I'm hanging out here in the first place... I listened to a young (11th grade) organist play a recital today. Wow. That's all I can say. He played some "big" pieces, and he managed them well. He's very talented, and if I recall correctly, he's only been playing the organ for at least the last 2+ years. He also plays the piano and the cello.

I'll post his program in the next post.

No comments: