Tuesday, November 1, 2011

1 November—Solemnity of All Saints

I went to the 7:00 p.m. bilingual Mass at Immaculate Conception Church. Any numbers you see come out of GIA's Gather Comprehensive 1994 (green cover) unless otherwise indicated. The service choir was Immaculate Conception's Parish Choir, under the direction of Angela Flynn.

Admittedly, I came in just as the Opening Hymn was announced, so if there was a prelude, I missed it.

Solemnity of All Saints
Opening Hymn: 442, Sing with All the Saints in Glory (HYMN TO JOY)
Gloria: Misa Luna, using the words from the new Roman Missal
Psalm: 34, Ps. 24 (K. Keil)
Gospel Acclamation: Festival Alleluia (Chepponis)
Offertory: Flor y Canto 481, Bienaventurados (Beatitudes: Matt. 5:3–12; L.C. Montgomery)
Sanctus, Memorial Acclamation, Amen, Agnus Dei: Misa Luna, using the words from the new Roman Missal
Communion: 796, Litany of the Saints (J.D. Becker)
Post-Communion Anthem: Pie Jesu (Fr. Ricky Manalo, CSP)
Recessional: 793, For All the Saints (SINE NOMINE)
Postlude: Wanting Memories (Y.M. Barnwell), sung by the choir

I will admit: I stopped attending bilingual Masses at IC years ago mainly because I didn't find the environment all that prayerful, and I generally left those Masses hugely underwhelmed. I ended up going today because I couldn't get up in time for the 7:00 am Mass (and it doesn't help that I went to bed at 3:30 am the night before). I wasn't sure what to expect from this Mass.

I'll admit: I was pleasantly surprised. The newest addition to IC's friars, Fr. Larry, is completely fluent in Spanish, and he was able to go between English and Spanish quite seamlessly. He is also an excellent homilist. In addition, I found this time around, the congregation was refreshingly more... well, shall we say, "solemn"? Part of the reason why I loathed the bilingual Masses of many years past was because I did not find the environment all that conducive to prayer. People were milling about, socializing with others, and it really didn't feel like you were about to participate in Mass. Today, the environment was different. Pleasantly so.

The choir did very well, and Angela is an excellent choir director.

My only complaint: we were exhorted by Fr. Larry to participate in singing the Offertory song out of Flor y Canto. Admittedly, I found just having the words with no music available to me to be utterly useless. All I could do was listen and not sing. If only one of Angela's predecessors (and I will not say who because I know who it was) had the foresight to order the hardback Flor y Canto hymnal instead of opting for the cheap, paperback, throwaway, words-only version, it would have facilitated the participation of even the non-Latinos in the crowd because at least they would be able to make an effort at singing the song instead of staring at a bunch of words that makes no sense.

Okay, rant over.

Tomorrow is All Souls' Day. My friends and family in the Philippines are celebrating All Saints'/All Souls' by visiting departed loved ones in the cemetery. I'll remember mine here: Lolo Juan and Lola Ina, Papang, Tito El, Tita Edith, Tito Romy, Tita Norma, Tito Paeng, Tito Chito, and Procer Jr.

Requiem aeternam dona eis, Domine, et lux perpetua luceat eis. Requiescant in pace. Amen.

No comments: