Tuesday, November 30, 2010

NaBloPoMo—made it to the finish!

Well, hello, November 30! And with that, I've managed to write at least one blog post for every month in November! Admittedly, when I decided to do this, I didn't think I'd make it this far. But somehow, I managed.

I won't commit to December, however, because of how busy life can be for one who works in the church. Ask me again in Janaury, however.

So I can hear you asking me: "Lyn, why do you have a picture of water on this post?" When I came into work this morning, I noticed that Main Street was closed. I assumed it was part of the ever-pervasive construction that's going on in downtown Durham. But no... I was told there was a water main break further down Main Street and that, as a precaution, the water was shut off in businesses along Main Street. So we were without water for most of the day.

I immediately felt badly for the volunteer downstairs. She is 90 years old, and the prospect of having no bathrooms nearby must have been daunting for her. I know I had a difficult time... I finally gave up and rushed home at 3.00 pm with promises that I would be back within the hour.

It made me realise that water was one of those things we take for granted. What about the homeless, and I'm thinking specifically of those who live on "The Hill" near Ninth Street. They don't have easy bathroom facilities. What if they want to wash up?

Humans can survive without food for 4-6 weeks without food. However, the survival time drops to days without water. I was so happy to be at home, basking in the spray of water in the shower.

Photo credits: Photographer: Ian Britton; Licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 License, FreeFoto FREE USE license.

No comments: