Tuesday, November 30, 2010

28 November - First Sunday of Advent

Advent Wreath from Curt Jester
Happy Advent, everyone! Now here are my lists from last Sunday.

It was nice to just be a Person In the Pew (PIP) for the 7.45 am Mass at Immaculate Conception Church. I missed out on the prelude and Opening Hymn since I came in late. Since I'm a cantor, I get the hymn lists anyway. As usual, the numbers come out of GIA's Gather Comprehensive 1994 (green cover):

Sunday 7.45 am Mass: First Sunday of Advent
Opening Hymn: 323, Come, O long expected Jesus (STUTTGART)
Kyrie: Misa Luna
Psalm: 120, Psalm 122 (Joncas)
Gospel Acclamation: 263 (Hughes Alleluia in C)
Off: 335, Wake, O wake and sleep no longer (WACHET AUF)
Sanctus, Mem. Accl., Amen: 300, 301, 302; Land of Rest Mass
Agnus Dei: Misa Luna
Communion Hymn: 328, My soul in stillness waits (Haugen)
Postlude: Wachet auf, ruft uns die Stimme (BWV 645; JS Bach)

This was the first time I heard the Misa Luna settings. Upon initial listening... the Kyrie sounded okay, I guess. The Agnus Dei, not so much. I know this parish loves bilingual settings, but honestly? That was the most congregational unfriendly setting of the Agnus Dei I have ever heard in my life! Not to mention, the words are not licit. No one, absolutely no one was singing it! It was made even worse by the fact that there were no booklets at hand that had this music printed in it. I mean, honestly: if Catholics want people to sing during the Mass, give them more singable music than this!

/rant

Well, I should just sit down, shut it, and bear it. Guess who plays the 7.45 am Mass this Sunday? Yup, you guessed it. Me.



St. Joseph's Episcopal Church where I played the usual 10.30 am service. As usual, the numbers are out of The Hymnal 1982.

First Sunday of Advent: Holy Eucharist Rite I
Prelude: Improvisation on Veni, veni, Emmanuel
Processional Hymn: 57, Lo! he comes, with clouds descending (HELMSLEY)
Kyrie: S-91 Missa de Sancta Maria Magdalena (Willan)
Psalm: Psalm 122 (Plainsong, Tone VIII.1)
Sequence Hymn: 11, Awake, my soul, and with the sun (MORNING HYMN)
Offertory Hymn: 68, Rejoice! rejoice, believers (LLANGLOFFAN)
Sanctus: S-114, Missa de Sancta Maria Magdalena (Willan)
Lord's Prayer: chanted (S-119 in Hymnal 1982)
Fraction Anthem: S-158, Missa de Sancta Maria Magdalena (Willan)
Communion Chant: Eat this bread, drink this cup (Taizé)
Recessional Hymn: 61, 'Sleepers, wake!' A voice astounds us (WACHET AUF)
Postlude: Wachet auf, ruft uns die Stimme (JG Walther)



This was a marathon day for me. Because the usual pianist went home for the Thanksgiving break, I played the 4:00 pm service for Carol Woods, which is organised by Chapel of the Cross. The music list would generally resemble the 8.00 am summer morning Rite I services.

The music list:

First Sunday of Advent: Holy Eucharist Rite I
Prelude: Improvisation on Veni, veni, Emmanuel
Processional Hymn: 59, Hark, a thrilling voice is sounding (MERTON)
Psalm: Psalm 122 (recited)
Sequence Hymn: 53, Once he came in blessing (GOTTES SOHN IST KOMMEN)
Offertory Hymn: 56, O come, O come, Emmanuel (vs. 1-2; VENI, VENI, EMMANUEL)
Communion Voluntary: Variations on Werde munter (J. G. Walther)
Recessional Hymn: 66, Come, thou long expected Jesus (STUTTGART)
Postlude: Wachet auf, ruft uns die Stimme (JG Walther)



The marathon continued.

I drew the organist's duties at the 5.15 pm service at Chapel of the Cross.

First Sunday of Advent: Holy Eucharist Rite II
Prelude: Improvisation on Veni, veni, Emmanuel
Processional Hymn: 59, Hark, a thrilling voice is sounding (MERTON)
Hymn at the Lighting of the Advent Wreath: 56, O come, O come, Emmanuel (vs. 1-2; VENI, VENI, EMMANUEL)
Psalm: Psalm 122 (recited)
Sequence Hymn: 53, Once he came in blessing (GOTTES SOHN IST KOMMEN)
Offertory Hymn: 336, Come with us, O blessed Jesus (WERDE MUNTER)
Sanctus: S-125, Community Mass (Proulx)
Communion Voluntary: Variations on Werde munter (J. G. Walther)
Recessional Hymn: 66, Come, thou long expected Jesus (STUTTGART)
Postlude: Wachet auf, ruft uns die Stimme (JG Walther)

I came rushing in at 5.05 pm only to be met by the presiding priest, who said the service was moving to the church because the chapel was an icebox. I knew it was cold in there; my fingers and feet felt really sluggish when I was practicing earlier. I was asked if I would be able to handle the Kleuker. I wonder if the huge smile on my face said anything. Was I happy to play the Kleuker during the service? Heck, yeah! :D

The only thing I regretted was not having had a chance to decide on registration for my pieces. Luckily, I figured out that Memory Level 1 contained pre-set pistons that would work for service music playing.

And it felt really, really good on this console. I was playing so much better during the service than the hack job I was doing whilst practicing in the frozen chapel.

I ended up getting tons of mileage out of the Walther setting of Wachet auf, ruft uns die Stimme. I'll explain why in the Compline post. :)

No comments: