Sunday, July 6, 2008

Some random thoughts

I am in the midst of exam writing. I've got three to write in the span of a week: one midterm, which must be deployed tomorrow, one final exam for the lecture portion of the course, which will be deployed Monday week, and one final exam for the lab portion of the course, which will be deployed Friday week ... unless a couple of students wish for me to deploy it a little earlier, like shortly after their last lab practical Wednesday week.

So I've been writing on and off and taking breaks here and there. Some random thoughts as I've been taking my breaks:
  • It is the third day in a row in which the rain has come during the evening hours. It spoiled the 4th of July fireworks displays around here, but as far as I'm concerned, it's all fine - we need the rain, and it is quite nice that we register a surplus as opposed to a deficit as far as rainfall totals for the year are concerned.
  • I've been tinkering around with my Project Playlist music playlist. It can hold a maximum of 100 songs, and after having discovered some 80s era bands I had forgotten, I added some songs, and removed a few broken links, and before I knew it, I reached 100 songs. It's been nice to have it in the background as I'm writing. I've also had a couple of friends play my playlist as well and compliment me on its diversity. It shuffles the songs on my MySpace page, and you don't need to friend me to access that page.
  • I took the plunge and participated in the weekly WIKTT Yahoo group chats. I met some really lovely people there and bounced off my plot bunnies. It seemed to be pretty well-received. They particularly liked my latest bunny - a twist on Harry Potter's trip to King's Cross Station. Of all my unfinished strands of stories, this one is the one that seems to be the most well-developed. It is a short story, and I anticipate approximately 5 chapters, give or take a couple. I'm still sitting on the Snape/Lily one-shot story. I actually had a look at it yesterday for the first time in a couple of months, and realised I liked the ending, but I need to streamline the chatter and make Lily much less preachy. My teaching obligation ends 19th July, and I'm sure my marking and such should be completed by then, so I would be able to devote more attention to feeding my Muses.
  • Mmmmm. Rice. I haven't had rice for at least a week or so. I had a lovely meal at George's Garage with Gail and Mick, and that was enough to tide me over until now. I know I've got some furikake someplace ... that would be so lovely to sprinkle on top of the rice right now. I'm also dreaming of loco moco as well. I suppose I'll get off the computer, have some dinner, and then resume the exam writing.

No comments: