Thursday, July 3, 2008

It's Reality TV ... for priests ...

H/T to Fr. Stephen Cuyos. He stumbled upon something which he termed "Star Academy" for priests. (I'll have to admit that I've never heard of Star Academy, so being the swot that I am, I had to look it up.)

This is Prêtres Academy, and it is very very interesting, IMHO. It follows the daily activities of three young Catholic priests, Fr. Franck, Fr. Michel, and Fr. Christophe. They are affiliated with the Diocese of Besançon in the northeast quarter of France. There is a companion website here.

IMHO, for those who are praying for increased vocations to the priesthood, I believe this concept is a good way to attract young men to the priesthood, if done right. Those behind the Prêtres Academy have the right idea, and I, for one, would look forward to watching new episodes as they come out.

For me, I find it interesting, especially in light of one of the plot bunnies running round my head for an original story that's been in the works for a while. The main character is a young priest in San Diego, and naturally, for this to work, I'd have to do research, such as how a typical priest would spend his day. The iPadre, Fr. Jay Finelli, had podcasted on his typical day on July 3, 2006. You may access that podcast here.

Back to the French priests. The teaser (and all the other videos, for that matter), which is in French, is posted below. Enjoy!



Edited to add: Erm ... well, I should have noticed that the "Adventures of the Priest Academy" were complete with the fourth episode. So there are five videos for you to enjoy: one teaser, and four episodes.

No comments: