Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Another term done ...

Today was the last face-to-face meeting with my Chemistry 111/111L class (General Chemistry) for the Summer Term 2008. I've had eight weeks with these students, and for me, it was quite rewarding. I can honestly say that if these students were thrown in with a larger class, they would be amongst the top of the class. They were that good. They may not have thought they were doing as well, but honestly, I don't see a C amongst this lot. Those who may have been struggling actually pulled themselves up with excellent performances on their finals. They really did it on their own - this was a "blended" course, so they received at least 50% of their instruction on-line. The onus was on them to download the Powerpoint presentations and do their homework. I gave them weekly quizzes to keep them on their toes. If they didn't have a quiz on "Virtual Class Days," they had a Midterm Exam. Our only face-to-face class time came with the labs on Wednesdays. And this lot generally completed their labs faster than expected.

So it's just hitting me now that I won't see this group again ... but I certainly wish them all the best with their future endeavours.

No comments: