Thursday, July 10, 2008

The Old Folk Rhyming Poems

I stumbled upon a neat set of rhyming poems. What brought this on: I was IM'ing a friend, and just like the irritating creature I can be, whenever "I see" appeared on the screen, I would immediately follow that up with, "said the blind man to the deaf-mute." (Kind of like another friend's propensity to say, "But a well is a hole in the ground," whenever I start off with, "Well ...." Cute at first, but gets rather irritating after a while.)

So I decided to do a Google search on the phrase, "I see said the blind man to the deaf-mute."

One of the hits yielded this. I thought it was really cool, starting off with:

"One bright day, in the middle of the night,
Two dead boys got up to fight [...]"

Of course, here was the bit I was most interested in:

And the narrator, with his story untold,
Meekly whispered, loud and bold,
The beginning words, to the meeting's end,
You, my enemy, are now my friend,
Oh, now I see said the blind man, to the deaf mute.
As he picked up a hammer and saw
He called his wife on the disconnected telephone to see if it was raining
(They lived on the corner, in the middle of the block,
On the second floor of a vacant lot.)
She stuck her wooden arm through the knot hole in the brick wall

Hmmm. Seems incomplete to me though. But, that is where it ends.

Cool stuff.

No comments: