Monday, July 21, 2008

The Usual Sunday Lists

I played the 5.30 pm Vigil Mass at Immaculate Conception Saturday evening, and cantored the 7.45 am Mass the next morning.

Here are the music lists. As usual, the numbers come out of GIA's Gather Comprehensive 1994 (green cover):

Saturday 5.30 pm Vigil Mass: Sixteenth Sunday in Ordinary Time
Gloria: 176 (Andrews)
Gospel Acclamation: 262 Joyful Alleluia (Hughes)
Sanctus, Mem. Accl., Amen: (gag, cough, splutter) St. Louis Jesuits Mass
Agnus Dei: 314 Holy Cross Mass (Isele)

Prelude: Prelude in C Major (BWV 846a; J. S. Bach)
Pro: 744, Gather us in (GATHER US IN)
Psalm: 81, Psalm 86 (Guimont)
Off: 615, Seek ye first (SEEK YE FIRST)
Comm: 821, Bread of life, hope of the world (B. Farrell)
Re: 690, Anthem (T. Conry)
Postlude: Ayre of Four Parts (J. Dowland)

As you can see, all winners. (Not.) I ended up sight-reading a few of these, faking it for the St. Louis Jebbies stuff on the organ because I could chord along ... saving the Opening and Closing "songs" for the piano, whilst holding down the bile. Sigh. In a way, I'm glad I ended up sight-reading these things, that way I can "type" out the music, and then forget about it. (So there, I've shown my true colours as far as Liturgical Music is concerned.)

I came back the next morning to cantor the 7.45 am Mass. I'm not sure what the organist played for her voluntary pieces, but they sounded suspiciously like Bach. Perhaps some selections out of the Orgelbüchlein?

Sunday 7.45 am Mass: Sixteenth Sunday in Ordinary Time
Gloria: 254 (Lee)
Gospel Acclamation: 261, Murray; verse chanted to tone VIII-g
Sanctus, Mem. Accl., Amen, Agnus Dei: Mass of Creation, with my "doctoring" of the Agnus Dei, essentially undoing the language faux-pas Haugen inflicted upon it in the first place ...

Pro: 606, How firm a foundation (FOUNDATION)
Psalm: 81, Psalm 86 (Guimont)
Off: 840, Shepherd of souls (ST. AGNES)
Comm: Organist's Voluntary
Re: 642, Jesus, lead the way (ROCHELLE)

Ah. Music sanity. Bliss.

Right after that Mass (and chatting with Jane, the organist, who encouraged me to consider auditioning for one of the abfab Rodney Wynkoop's choral groups (most likely the Choral Society of Durham) come Labour Day), I rushed over to St. Joseph's Episcopal Church where I played my usual 10.30 am service. As usual, numbers are out of The Hymnal 1982.

The Tenth Sunday after Pentecost: Holy Eucharist: Rite II
Prelude: Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring (J. S. Bach)
Pro: 453, As Jacob with travel was weary one day (MORNING HYMN)
Trisagion: S-100 (New Plainsong Mass; Hurd)
Psalm: Psalm 139 (Barrett)
Seq: 424, For the fruit of all creation (EAST ACKLAM)
Off: 665, All my hope on God is founded (MICHAEL)
Sanctus: S-130, Deutsche Messe (Schubert)
Lord's Prayer: chanted (S-119 in Hymnal 1982)
Fraction Anthem: S-169, My flesh is food indeed (Urwin)
Comm: WLP 747, God the sculptor of the mountains (URBS BEATA; Sarum Plainsong Mode II)
Re: 336, Come with us, O blessed Jesus (WERDE MUNTER)
Postlude: Voluntary in D Major: Adagio ("Trumpet"; Op. 6, No. 5; Stanley)

Yes, THE Stanley Trumpet Voluntary. Badly played, but there it was. Click on the link, and you'll be taken to a YouTube video where the young, 20-year-old organist, Rob, played the arrangement I muddled through much much better.

No comments: