Monday, July 28, 2008

27 July - 11th Sunday After Pentecost - Proper 12

Here are my usual lists. I played two services yesterday.

St. Joseph's Episcopal Church - numbers are out of The Hymnal 1982.

The Eleventh Sunday after Pentecost: Holy Eucharist: Rite II
Prelude: Echo Fantasia 6 (Ionian; attr. J. Sweelinck)
Pro: 9, Not here for high and holy things (MORNING SONG)
Trisagion: S-100 (New Plainsong Mass; Hurd)
Psalm: Ps 128 (Guimont)
Seq: 615, Thy kingdom come! on bended knee (ST FLAVIAN)
Off: 447, The Christ who died but rose again (ST MAGNUS)
Sanctus: S-130, Deutsche Messe (Schubert)
Lord's Prayer: chanted (S-119 in Hymnal 1982)
Fraction Anthem: S-169, My flesh is food indeed (Urwin)
Comm: 711, Seek ye first the kingdom of God (SEEK YE FIRST)
Re: 195, Jesus lives! thy terrors now (MOWSLEY)
Postlude: Prelude and Fugue in g minor (attr. J.S. Bach)

A most interesting comment came my way after the service yesterday: a couple of people approached me and said they really enjoyed my prelude piece. They said it came from a movie, but could not recall which one ... so if anyone out there knows which film this piece was played, I'd be very appreciative if you could mention it in the combox. If you click on the link, it will take you to a nice site (Virtually Baroque) where you can hear it. Hopefully this will ring a few bells out of the movie-goers amongst you?

Service #2: Carol Woods. Services there are organised by Chapel of the Cross. This was a simple service, really resembling the 8.00 am summer morning Rite I services at Chapel of the Cross, with a few omissions, depending upon the Presider of the Day. I've agreed to serve as the service pianist for the whole of the summer, up until my services at the Episcopal Centre at Duke University are required again shortly before Labour Day.

The Eleventh Sunday after Pentecost: Holy Eucharist: Rite I
Prelude: Half of Echo Fantasia 6 (Ionian; attr. J. Sweelinck)
Pro: 447, The Christ who died but rose again (ST MAGNUS)
Off: 635, If thou but trust in God to guide thee (WER NUR DEN LIEBEN GOTT)*
Comm: The other half of Sweelinck's Ionian Echo Fantasia 6
Re: 594, God of grace and God of glory (CWM RHONDDA)
Postlude: Praeludium in F ("Ionian"; Sweelinck)

*Interestingly enough, I had considered this hymn for offertory at St. Joe's, but decided against it because it only had 2 verses, and I'm rubbish at improvisation (bows deeply to David Arcus and Van Quinn, both of whom are brilliant at it). For the Carol Woods service, I decided as introduction to try my hand at improvisation in the form of a very heavily ornamented chorale. This lot is used to it if they've gone to services at Chapel of the Cross when they were younger. It's very similar in style to Van's improv, and in fact, I did it really in homage to him. I'm sure the Presider of the Day (Rev'd. Stephen Elkins-Williams) recognised it!

I am so very much enjoying playing for these folks; I shall miss them when I return to Duke come 31 August.

No comments: