Wednesday, July 16, 2008

13 July - 9th Sunday after Pentecost - Proper 10

Here are my usual lists. I played three services last Sunday. I ended up going with voluntary pieces I knew well, mainly because of the crush of finals writing, as well as having to review some concepts very well before a Review Session I gave to my students shortly after my last service of the day. So I wore both my Church Musician and my Teacher's hats last Sunday. It was a busy day indeed.

St. Joseph's Episcopal Church - numbers are out of The Hymnal 1982.

The Ninth Sunday after Pentecost: Holy Eucharist: Rite II
Prelude: Prelude in B-flat Major (attr. J. S. Bach, from Eight Little Preludes and Fugues)
Pro: 440, Blessed Jesus, at thy word (LIEBSTER JESU)
Trisagion: S-100 (New Plainsong Mass; Hurd)
Psalm: Ps 119 (Plainsong, Tone 8, from Gradual Psalms for the RCL, ed. B. Ford)
Seq: 512, Come, gracious Spirit, heavenly Dove (MENDON)
Off: 593, Lord, make us servants of your peace (DICKINSON COLLEGE)
Sanctus: S-130, Deutsche Messe (Schubert)
Lord's Prayer: chanted (S-119 in Hymnal 1982)
Fraction Anthem: S-169, My flesh is food indeed (Urwin)
Comm: Abba, Father, send your Spirit (ABBA, FATHER)
Re: 530, Spread, O spread, thou mighty word (GOTT SEI DANK)
Postlude: Fugue in B-flat Major (attr. Bach)

A couple of comments: the Offertory hymn is the text of the prayer attributed to St. Francis. I decided to try the tune that was in The Hymnal 1982 a go. People didn't seem very familiar with it. After the service, I was told that the version people at St. Joseph's were more familiar with was the version that was played at Princess Diana's funeral. Well, a little research revealed that version to be the one most Catholics are familiar with: the Sebastian Temple setting. The Communion song was from the in-house hymnal that I felt obligated to use. I will be honest - I really dislike most of what's in there. But I understand that the songs contained therein was the glue that held the parish together through thick and thin, so for pastoral reasons, I do my level best to include songs from there. I just grit, bear it, and then listen to the compliments after the service from those who are happy I am using it as a resource for the parish.

Service #2: Carol Woods. Services there are organised by Chapel of the Cross. This was a simple service, really resembling the 8.00 am summer morning Rite I services at Chapel of the Cross, with a few omissions, depending upon the Presider of the Day. I've agreed to serve as the service pianist for the whole of the summer, up until my services at the Episcopal Centre at Duke University are required again shortly before Labour Day.

The Ninth Sunday after Pentecost: Holy Eucharist: Rite I
Prelude: Introductory Voluntary (F. Linley)
Pro: 47, On this day, the first of days (GOTT SEI DANK)
Off: 302, Father, we thank thee who hast planted (RENDEZ À DIEU)
Comm: Prelude in C Major (BWV 846a; J. S. Bach); Adagio (Anonymous); Cantabile (C. Zeuner)
Re: 537, Christ for the world we sing! (MOSCOW)
Postlude: Ayre of Four Parts (J. Dowland)

Service #3: I agreed to sub for a friend at the 5.15 pm service at the Chapel of the Cross. They are reading a different set of Old and New Testament readings than St. Joseph's, as well as a different Psalm. Apparently, within the Revised Common Lectionary, there are two tracks that one may follow. I just noticed it as the "SC Track" and the "GR Track." St. Joseph's are following the former whilst Chapel of the Cross is following the latter. So naturally, the hymns chosen would, in all likelihood, be quite different than those I've picked out for St. Joseph's.

The Ninth Sunday after Pentecost: Holy Eucharist: Rite II
Prelude: Prelude in B-flat Major (attr. J. S. Bach, from Eight Little Preludes and Fugues)
Pro: 47, On this day, the first of days (GOTT SEI DANK)
Psalm: Ps 65 (recited)
Seq: 512, Come, gracious Spirit, heavenly Dove (MENDON)
Off: 302, Father, we thank thee who hast planted (RENDEZ À DIEU)
Sanctus: S-125, Community Mass (Proulx)
Comm: Echo Fantasia 6 (Ionian; attr. J. Sweelinck)
Re: 537, Christ for the world we sing! (MOSCOW)
Postlude: Fugue in B-flat Major (attr. Bach)

And once this was done, I left immediately to conduct a review session for my students. It was a busy day, indeed.

No comments: