Monday, April 28, 2008

27 April - Sixth Sunday of Easter

As usual ... my music lists for Sunday services.

St. Joseph's Episcopal Church - numbers are out of The Hymnal 1982.

The Sixth Sunday of Easter: Holy Eucharist: Rite II

Prelude: Laudate Dominum Omnes Gentes (Psalm 117; Howard Helvey)*
Pro: 705, As those of old their first fruits brought (FOREST GREEN)
Gloria: S-280 (Powell)
Psalm: Ps 66 (Barrett)
Seq: 514, To thee, O Comforter divine (ST. BARTHOLOMEW'S)
Off: 405, All things bright and beautiful (ROYAL OAK)
Sanctus: S-125, Community Mass (Proulx)
Lord's Prayer: chanted (S-119 in Hymnal 1982)
Fraction Anthem: S-154, New Plainsong (Hurd)
Comm: Gather Comprehensive 838, Eat This Bread (Taizé)
Re: 344, Lord, dismiss us with thy blessing (SICILIAN MARINERS)
Postlude: Allemande from Partita No. 1 in B-Flat Major (BWV 825, J. S. Bach)

*This piece was commissioned by the Senior Choir of Chapel of the Cross (I was included with this lot), and dedicated to Roberta Marchese Van Ness and Gerald Whittington (two members of the Senior Choir) on the occasion of their marriage. It received its first performance at their wedding ceremony, and to honour them, I played the "accompaniment" on soft stops as my prelude. It's a wonderful piece.

As for my, erm, postlude ... I guess I was feeling nostalgic for the days I was taking piano lessons with Greg McCallum. I ended up taking two semesters worth of lessons from him because my organ teacher, Tim Baker, had taken a sabbatical to France, and Tim didn't want me to go too long without lessons, hence I was given the opportunity to improve my (rather dismal) keyboard skills while he was gone. My lessons with Greg really made a huge difference. I was self-taught at the piano before I started organ lessons with Tim back in August, 2002.


Episcopal Centre at Duke University

The Sixth Sunday of Easter: Holy Eucharist: Rite II

Prelude: Laudate Dominum Omnes Gentes (Psalm 117; Howard Helvey)
Pro: 179, Welcome, happy morning (FORTUNATUS)
Gloria: S-280 (Powell)
Psalm: Ps 66, recited
Seq: 400, All creatures of our God and King (LASST UNS ERFREUEN)
Off: 516, Come down, O Love divine (DOWN AMPNEY)
Sanctus: S-125, Community Mass (Proulx)
Communion Hymn: 488, Be thou my vision (SLANE)
Re: 344, Lord, dismiss us with thy blessing (SICILIAN MARINERS)

I will admit - I was very tired at this point in the day. I took a nap shortly after having returned from lunch with some St. Joseph's parishioners, and woke up at 3.50 pm. Erm ... well, guess what, the service was at 4.00 pm! So I jumped out of bed, ran a comb across my tangled nest of hair, and rushed out the door. I got there a minute before 4.00 pm. (It really was just a matter of going from East Campus to West Campus, but still ...) I don't think I really woke up from my nap as I was sleepy through the entire service. After the post-service dinner, I went straight to bed, intending to nap for a bit before heading to Compline. That didn't happen, going to Compline that is ... I woke up at 3.00 am. Didn't think anyone would be in church at that hour.

However, I did have correspondence with Van and Robin, and from the sounds of it, the line-up did not change at all from previous weeks.

Compline at Chapel of the Cross.

We've been using the Order for Compline, as set by David Hurd. Our little additions:

Let my prayer come up into Thy presence (Henry Purcell; sung as introit)
Hymn 33, Christ, mighty Savior (CHRISTE, LUX MUNDI, Mode 7)
In manus tuas (Sheppard; sung in addition to "Into your hands, O Lord, I commend my spirit ...)
S-32, Concluding Versicle and Response in Easter Season ("Let us bless the Lord, alleluia, alleluia ...")
Regina Coeli (Marian antiphon right after the Dismissal)
Ave Maria (Robert Parsons)
Organ Voluntary by the abfab David Arcus.

Here's to hoping my voice, which has been gaining in strength over the past few days, will be recovered enough for me to be able to join the choir for the last Compline service of the academic year.

No comments: