Monday, April 21, 2008

20 April - Fifth Sunday of Easter

As usual ... my music lists for Sunday services. Just two lists today - I didn't play the service at the Episcopal Centre at Duke University because they had their Senior Roast, and they moved up the time of the service just enough that it conflicts with my duties at St. Joseph's.

St. Joseph's Episcopal Church - numbers are out of The Hymnal 1982.

The Fourth Sunday of Easter: Holy Eucharist: Rite II

Prelude: The Church's One Foundation (Paul Bunjes)
Pro: 525, The Church's One Foundation (AURELIA)
Gloria: S-280 (Powell)
Psalm: Ps 31 (Guimont)
Seq: 457, Thou art the Way, to thee alone (ST. JAMES)
Off: 243, When Stephen, full of power and grace (SALVATION)
Sanctus: S-125, Community Mass (Proulx)
Lord's Prayer: chanted (S-119 in Hymnal 1982)
Fraction Anthem: S-154, New Plainsong (Hurd)
Comm: On Christ the Solid Rock (SOLID ROCK); (grimace) Eight-Fold Alleluia (Pulkingham, I believe)
Re: 213, Come away to the skies (MIDDLEBURY)
Postlude: Christ ist erstanden (J. K. F. Fischer)



Compline at Chapel of the Cross.

We've been using the Order for Compline, as set by David Hurd. Our little additions:

Let my prayer come up into Thy presence (Henry Purcell; sung as introit)
Hymn 33, Christ, mighty Savior (CHRISTE, LUX MUNDI, Mode 7)
In manus tuas (Sheppard; sung in addition to "Into your hands, O Lord, I commend my spirit ...)
S-32, Concluding Versicle and Response in Easter Season ("Let us bless the Lord, alleluia, alleluia ...")
Regina Coeli (Marian antiphon right after the Dismissal)
Ave Maria (Robert Parsons)
Organ Voluntary by the abfab David Arcus.

My voice was still too raspy to join in the singing this week. Members of the Compline Choir approached me and said how much they've missed me. It is really frustrating to me that I still can manage no more than a ragged whisper, so I've taken to parodying a Paul Simon song - I'm Still Voiceless After All These Weeks. It is unbelievably frustrating. One of the choristers quipped that perhaps I should learn American Sign Language. Well, if I continue to be mute, I might as well, can't hurt ...

... sigh ...

Anyway, happier news. One of the Compline attendees decided to record some of the services (and I believe I may have mentioned that in a previous blog entry from late January to mid-February of this year), and he brought the fruit of his labours to the service. So I got a copy. I haven't listened to it yet, but will do so soon. Oi - if there are any Compline alumni reading this (Danny K., Erik A., Jay R., Mark and Sara A.-G., etc.) and you want a copy, you should email Van ... perhaps I'll talk to him and see if we can arrange getting you guys a copy. If anyone else wants a copy, leave a message in the combox or email me, and I'll ensure a copy gets to you.

No comments: