Monday, April 14, 2008

13 April - Fourth Sunday of Easter

As usual ... my music lists for Sunday services.

St. Joseph's Episcopal Church - numbers are out of The Hymnal 1982.

The Fourth Sunday of Easter: Holy Eucharist: Rite II

Prelude: Two settings of Alle Menschen müßen sterben (M. Dupré and J. Pachelbel)
Pro: 205, Good Christians all, rejoice and sing! (GELOBT SEI GOTT)
Gloria: S-280 (Powell)
Psalm: Ps 23 (Guimont)
Seq: 334, Praise the Lord, rise up rejoicing (ALLES IST AN GOTTES SEGEN)
Off: 645, The King of love my shepherd is (ST. COLUMBA)
Sanctus: S-125, Community Mass (Proulx)
Lord's Prayer: chanted (S-119 in Hymnal 1982)
Fraction Anthem: S-154, New Plainsong (Hurd)
Comm: Gather Comprehensive 31, Shepherd Me, O God (Haugen setting of Ps. 23)
Re: 208, Alleluia! The strife is o'er, the battle done (VICTORY)
Postlude: The strife is o'er, the battle done (D. Johnson, from his Easy Trios collection)

I should learn my lesson - I chose my voluntary music at the last possible minute, and I was only looking for items that would be an easy read. I really should have checked the prelude music - and I chose that blindly based on music recommendations found in the CanticaNova website. That prelude would have been more appropo when a hymn with the hymntune SALZBURG was programmed. Oh well, lesson learnt.

The choir is appreciative though - because of my lack of voice, I told them their "warmup" will consist of singing through the Gloria (S-280, Powell setting). When we finished, a couple of the choir members had huge smiles on their faces and declared it was so nice to be able to sing that accompanied by organ. So I rasped back, "And what accompanied you before?" Their answer: nothing. They sang that (or tried to), a cappella.

Also too - the Vicar approached me after the service and said how much she appreciated my ministry and especially lauded me on my musical choices. (I've been choosing all the hymns from the 4th Sunday after Epiphany onwards.) I've also been receiving similar compliments from members of the congregations.

I guess all of this shows how much they really needed someone behind the console. There are always little things coming up that awe me, and humble me, and these were a few of those things.

Episcopal Centre at Duke University

The Fourth Sunday of Easter: Holy Eucharist: Rite II

Prelude: A rather lame improvisation on Gelobt sei Gott. It's times like this when I wish I could channel David Arcus and have music flowing out of my fingertips that doesn't sound contrived or lame ...
Pro: 205, Good Christians all, rejoice and sing! (GELOBT SEI GOTT)
Gloria: S-280 (Powell)
Psalm: Ps 23, recited
Seq: 334, Praise the Lord, rise up rejoicing (ALLES IST AN GOTTES SEGEN)
Off: 645, The King of love my shepherd is (ST. COLUMBA)
Sanctus: S-125, Community Mass (Proulx)
Communion Hymn: 304, I come with joy th meet my Lord (LAND OF REST)
Re: 208, Alleluia! The strife is o'er, the battle done (VICTORY)

Compline at Chapel of the Cross.

We've been using the Order for Compline, as set by David Hurd. Our little additions:

Let my prayer come up into Thy presence (Henry Purcell; sung as introit)
Hymn 33, Christ, mighty Savior (CHRISTE, LUX MUNDI, Mode 7)
In manus tuas (Sheppard; sung in addition to "Into your hands, O Lord, I commend my spirit ...)
S-32, Concluding Versicle and Response in Easter Season ("Let us bless the Lord, alleluia, alleluia ...")
Regina Coeli (Marian antiphon right after the Dismissal)
Ave Maria (Robert Parsons)
Organ Voluntary by the abfab David Arcus.

My voice was still too raspy to join in the singing this week. As I walked in the church, I recognised the Parsons Ave Maria, and thought, "My goodness, he's really going to have the choir sing this tonight." It sounded rather rough (not polished like the Cambridge Singers - click the link, and you'll be taken to a YouTube video featuring this exquisite piece), but then again, what's rehearsal for if not working out the kinks.

When they concluded the service with this piece, I thought they did well for the first public performance of this piece, despite the reduced numbers (there were several absences, including mine, amongst the choristers). The congregation also noticed the change, and Van indicated that many of the regulars noticed the different setting of the Ave Maria, said they really enjoyed it, and asked who composed it.

Is it possible for a 60+-year old man to squee? As Van was relating this story to Robin Arcus and me, I can just imagine him squeeing his delight at hearing these words. Honestly - that makes all of this worthwhile, and I couldn't help but smile as I heard Van gushing on and on.

Van expressed hope that my voice will be well enough to rejoin the choristers next week. David also expressed the same hope, giving me a hug and telling me how much the choir misses me. That made me feel really good, kind of warm and tingly all over. I am sick and tired of being sick, and I do, indeed, hope that my voice decides to return. I miss singing. I really do.

No comments: