Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Some thoughts on a cold Tuesday afternoon

I am sitting in front of the A entry at the Dean Dome, waiting to come in for the Eve Carson memorial service. Happily, when the westboro "baptist" Idiots requested police protection, they were denied. Therefore, they would be no where near the Dean Dome. There definitely is an increased presence in the area around the Dean Dome. The environment at the moment: quiet. People reading today's issue of The Daily Tar Heel. Others sitting in quiet contemplation. A couple doing homework. All waiting. It's quiet, peaceful. As time passes, more and more people come and wait. I see members of the media with their cameras and such. I think I recognised one of the field reporters for News 14 Carolina come by with her cameraman a few minutes ago. I see the news van for ABC 11 Eyewitness News in the carpark. I'm sure the rest of the local media outlets are around, as well.

In the meantime, the wait continues. Doors open at 3.00 pm. So I'll sit here and blog. I've got a bit to catch up on anyway, as I haven't posted my service music from Palm Sunday, and will be posting the music and such for Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, Easter Vigil, and Easter Day for St. Joseph's.

Also too - today is the first day the Forensic Science 101 class meets at Campbell University's RTP Campus. I already told the Head Instructor I was going to be late. So after this service, I will be heading to campus to give the students an introduction - just as I did during the Fall I term, I will be giving the students the Chemist's Perspective to Forensic Science.

Last thing. A muse has visited me, and is constantly whispering in my ear. Yes, I have been visited by muses before, and I have in my mind a novel-length story involving characters I've had in my head since I was in elementary school. However, this muse is encouraging me to try my hand at a one-shot story in the Harry Potter universe - Severus Snape and Lily Potter. Nothing romantic, really - Lily appears to Severus not long after he passes out looking at Harry's eyes ... and helps him come to terms with the choices he's made in his life. Then, in a scene out of MASH, she leads him onwards ... and they are joined by a group of witches and wizards who, themselves, are also marching onwards.

That's the short summary. Now all I have to do is put my thoughts on paper and see where it all goes.

No comments: