Monday, March 10, 2008

A little bit of unease ...

Yesterday, after finishing the 5.15 pm service at Chapel of the Cross, I decided to take a walk through campus to the Health Sciences Library. In general, I don't feel uncomfortable walking through college campuses; it has generally been a place I've always felt safe, no matter if I was walking through UCSD, Brandeis University, Clark University, or UNC. However, given what's happened this past week, and the fact that the students are away on Spring Break, I couldn't help but feeling rather apprehensive as I was walking on Columbia Street on the way back to Chapel of the Cross for Compline. Maybe I'm just thinking too much ... but then again, anyone could be the victim of a crime anywhere. Admittedly, Clark University is not located in the safest part of Worcester; the Main South neighbourhood had been known as a not-so-safe place to be, especially at night. I do have some self-defence training, having been a part of the Clark University Karate Club for 4 years ... but then again, that was at least 10 years ago, and I did not continue my karate studies after I moved to NC.

But still ... I walked a little faster, and really paid attention to my surroundings ... and didn't feel at ease until I arrived at Chapel of the Cross. It's generally only a 20 minute or so walk from HSL to Chapel of the Cross, but it was the most nervous 20-minute walk I experienced since I arrived at the UNC campus.

I guess the news of Eve's senseless murder has affected me more deeply than I am consciously aware ...

No comments: