Sunday, March 23, 2008

23 March - Easter Day

As usual ... my music lists for Sunday services. This was yet another joint service between the Episcopal Centre at Duke University and St. Joseph's Episcopal Church. We were graced once again with the presence of the Bishop of the Diocese of North Carolina, the Right Rev'd Michael Curry. Numbers are out of The Hymnal 1982.


Prelude: Christ lag in Todesbanden (BWV 625; J. S. Bach)
Pro: 175, Hail thee, festival day! (SALVE FESTA DIES)
Gloria: S-280 (Powell)
Psalm: Ps 118. This was interesting: the antiphon was the refrain from the Celtic Alleluia. The verses, I set to Tone 8, using the text from vs 1-2, and 14-24 from the Book of Common Prayer.
Seq: 184, Christ the Lord is risen again (CHRIST IST ERSTANDEN)
Off: Alleluia Round (William Boyce, arr. Richard Proulx)
Sanctus: S-125, Community Mass (Proulx)
Lord's Prayer: chanted (S-119 in Hymnal 1982)
Fraction Anthem: S-154, New Plainsong (Hurd)
Comm: 460, Alleluia, sing to Jesus (HYFRYDOL);
304, I come with joy to meet my Lord (LAND OF REST)
Re: 207 Jesus Christ is risen today (EASTER HYMN)
Postlude: Fugue in C ("Gigue") (BuxWV 174, D. Buxtehude)

This was actually a heap of fun. I had a trumpeter, two flautists, and a viola player join us from ECDU, and make a joyful sound we did. Even Bishop Curry commented on it afterward, saying the music we made was definitely Resurrection music, stated in his own imitable way. I was quite flattered ... gave me a warm feeling when he said that. (Actually, he didn't get the opportunity to tell me this in person; this was related to me second-hand by the priests at the post-service reception.)


Next service: I sang with the Parish Choir at the 5.15 pm service at Chapel of the Cross.

My friend Chris drew the organist playing duties for this service. Here is the music, including Chris' voluntary pieces.

Prelude: Two settings of Christ lag in Todesbanden (S. Scheidt and J. S. Bach (BWV 625))
Pro: 207 Jesus Christ is risen today (EASTER HYMN)
Gloria: S-280 (Powell)
Psalm: Psalm 114, recited
Seq: 208, The strife is o'er, the battle done (VICTORY)
Off: Most glorious Lord of life (William H. Harris)
Sanctus: S-125 Community Mass (R. Proulx)
Communion Voluntary: Trumpet Voluntary in D (J. Bennett)
Communion Hymn: 174, At the Lamb's high feast we sing (SALZBURG)
Re: 199, Come, ye faithful, raise the strain (ST. KEVIN)
Postlude: Hornpipe, from Water Music (G. F. Handel)

I was glad I had the chance to hear Chris play - I've not really had the chance to do so, and he did wonderfully. For me - I really like the Bach Christ lag ... from the Orgelbüchlein, and it's always a treat for me to hear someone else (besides myself) playing it.


Compline at Chapel of the Cross.

We've been using the Order for Compline, as set by David Hurd. Our little additions:

Hymn 183, Christians, to the Paschal victim (VICTIMÆ PASCHALI LAUDES)
S-32, Concluding Versicle and Response in Easter Season ("Let us bless the Lord, alleluia, alleluia ...")
Regina Coeli (Marian antiphon right after the Dismissal)
Ave Maria ... virgo serena (des Prez)

(Note: image used above comes from http://inillotempore.com/blog/images/gallery/LineArt)

2 comments:

Ebeth said...

Hey Lyn!! Happy Easter!

The music list is wonderful! We, my family of 4 (at home, that is) played handbells at our parish for Palm Sunday, holy Thursday, Easter Vigil, and Easter Sunday....whew!! Now I have an idea how music ministers feel after a big weekend!

Hugs!
Ebeth

Lyn F. said...

Thanks very much indeed ... I left a longer comment on your Fb page ... Happy Easter to you, too!