Thursday, March 6, 2008

3 March - Lent IV (Laetare Sunday)

It's another Sunday. To the Roman Catholics, it's Laetare Sunday, and I blogged on this earlier.

I have just three lists today. Here they are ...

St. Joseph's Episcopal Church. Numbers are out of The Hymnal 1982.

March 3: Lent IV:

Prelude: Schmücke dich, o liebe Seele (Op. 122, No. 5; J. Brahms)
Pro: 692 I heard the voice of Jesus say (sung to KINGSFOLD instead of THE THIRD TUNE)
Kyrie: Willan (S-91 in Hymnal 1982)
Psalm: Ps 23 (Guimont)
Seq: 490 I want to walk as a child of the light (HOUSTON)
Off: 645 The King of love my shepherd is (ST. COLUMBA)
Sanctus: S-124 New Plainsong (D. Hurd)
Lord's Prayer: chanted (S-119 in Hymnal 1982)
Fraction Anthem: S 161 New Plainsong (D. Hurd)
Comm: Shepherd Me, O God (Haugen - see the note in my Lent I post if you're scratching your head at my Communion choice.)
Re: 493 O for a thousand tongues (AZMON)

I will admit - this group is really coming along nicely. We're working on Boyce's Alleluia Round for Easter, and after having worked on it for the past month, this lot has got it, and were able to keep up a 2-part round with accompaniment. This should be sounding wonderful for Easter!

As for the Communion thing they sung - another admission. This lot does that type of music very very well. It resonates with them, and I've noticed it brings something out of them, and it shows in the way they perform the piece. I received ever so many compliments on how the choir sounded, and I especially received heaps of praise over what they sung for Communion.

Sigh ... I suppose it would be to my advantage to tap into that and program music of this type. I just wish I could like this type of stuff. But then again, if I could like some of the stuff I've piled onto my Project Playlist list (which is accessible from my Myspace page; you don't need to friend me to listen to my virtual jukebox), then I suppose I could like some of the ... stuff ... I'm programming for Communion. I guess I've just experienced the Gather Comprehensive, Today's Missal, Breaking Bread, etc. stuff and other praise, holy roller, and folk type "religious" songs performed so badly that it leaves me cringing in its wake, and longing for "real" church music such as that I experienced at Chapel of the Cross, as well as the one Mass I attended at Sacred Heart in Dunn, NC. (I blogged on that as well, back in September, 2007.)

Episcopal Centre at Duke University.

March 3: Lent IV:

Prelude: Schmücke dich, o liebe Seele (Op. 122, No. 5; J. Brahms)
Pro: 645 The King of love my shepherd is (ST. COLUMBA)
Decalogue: S-353, chanted a cappella
Kyrie: Willan (S-91 in Hymnal 1982)
Seq: 490 I want to walk as a child of the light (HOUSTON)
Off: 142 Lord, who throughout these forty days (ST. FLAVIAN)
Sanctus: S-114 (Willan)
Lord's Prayer: chanted (S-119 in Hymnal 1982)
Fraction Anthem: S-158 (Willan)
Comm: 339 Deck thyself, my soul, with gladness (SCHMÜCKE DICH))
Re: 493 O for a thousand tongues (AZMON)

This will be the last service at Duke for a while; the students will be on Spring Break, and they return from Spring Break on Palm Sunday. Chaplain decided to resume services with the Maundy Thursday service, which will be jointly held with St. Joseph's.

Compline at Chapel of the Cross.

We've been using the Order for Compline, as set by David Hurd. Our little additions:

Hide Thou Not Thy Face (Farrant; sung as Introit)
In manus tuas (Sheppard; sung in addition to "Into your hands, O Lord, I commend my spirit ...)
Ave Regina Cælorum (Marian antiphon right after the Dismissal)
Ave Maria ... virgo serena (des Prez)

No comments: