Thursday, November 6, 2008

2 November - All Saints' Day (transferred)

These lists come quite late because I've been sick. (Those of you who have been following my Facebook page have probably had enough of my whingeing.)

Here are my usual lists.

St. Joseph's Episcopal Church where I played my usual 10.30 am service. As usual, numbers are out of The Hymnal 1982.

All Saints' Day: Reaffirmation of Baptism and Holy Eucharist: Rite II
Prelude: Selections from Missa Oecumenica (R. Proulx)*
Pro: 287, For all the saints (SINE NOMINE)
Psalm: Psalm 34 (Barrett)
Seq: 440, Blessed Jesus, at thy word (LIEBSTER JESU)
Off: 618, Ye watchers and ye holy ones (LASST UNS ERFREUEN)
Sanctus: S-125, Community Mass (Proulx)
Lord's Prayer: chanted (S-119 in Hymnal 1982)
Fraction Anthem: S-167, The disciples knew the Lord Jesus (M. Martens; Mode 6)
Comm: 560, Remember your servants, Lord (BEATITUDES)
Re: 557, Rejoice, ye pure in heart! (VINEYARD HAVEN)
Postlude: For All the Saints (W. Held)

* I'm doing it again - the sort of "subliminal" planting of music into peoples' brains. I am planning to introduce Proulx' Missa Oecumenica for the service music for Advent. Hopefully by the time we get to the First Sunday of Advent, the people will have the tune in their minds. I'm not worried about the Sanctus, which has the tune based on 560 from the hymnal (BEATITUDES, based on Russian Orthodox chant), but hopefully they'll have the tune for the Trisagion and the Agnus Dei in mind (based on Archangelsky's tune). Variations on this theme will be my prelude music for the next four Sundays.

The Episcopal Centre at Duke University

All Saints' Day: Holy Eucharist: Rite II
Prelude: Selections from Missa Oecumenica (R. Proulx)
Pro: 287, For all the saints (SINE NOMINE)
Gloria: S-278 (Mathias)
Psalm: Ps 78, recited
Seq: 440, Blessed Jesus, at thy word (LIEBSTER JESU)
Off: 618, Ye watchers and ye holy ones (LASST UNS ERFREUEN)
Sanctus: S-128 (Mathias)
Lord's Prayer: chanted (S-119 in Hymnal 1982)
Comm: 560, Remember your servants, Lord (BEATITUDES)
Re: 557, Rejoice, ye pure in heart! (VINEYARD HAVEN)
Postlude: For All the Saints (W. Held; modified so I could play it on the little one-manual, 3-stop Holtkamp that lives in the Episcopal Centre)

Compline at Chapel of the Cross.

I had to get the list from one of my fellow Compline choristers as I had a sore throat and didn't have much of a singing voice. Many thanks to Ali C. for providing the list.

We've been using the Order for Compline, as set by David Hurd.

Here are our little additions:

Lord, for thy tender mercy's sake (R. Farrant)
Psalm 91 (chanted to Tone 8)
Hymn: Christ, mighty Saviour (CHRISTE, LUX MUNDI, plainsong Mode 7)
In manus tuas (Sheppard; sung in addition to "Into your hands, O Lord, I commend my spirit ...)
Nunc Dimittis from Short Service (O. Gibbons)
Salve Regina (Marian antiphon right after the Dismissal)
Ave Maria (Tomas Luis de Victoria)
Organ Voluntary by the abfab David Arcus.

Thanks again, Ali! As of this writing, the sore throat is getting better (thanks to ibuprofen and saline gargles) but laryngitis has set in, so I, in all likelihood, will probably not be singing this Sunday's Compline service either. But I will endeavour to get the music for this Sunday so I can report it in this space, as usual ... with a little help from my friends.

No comments: