Saturday, November 22, 2008

16 November - 27th Sunday After Pentecost - Proper 28

I haven't been blogging for a while, and so now I am playing catch up.

St. Joseph's Episcopal Church where I played my usual 10.30 am service. As usual, numbers are out of The Hymnal 1982.

The Twenty-seventh Sunday after Pentecost: Rite II
Prelude: Selections from Missa Oecumenica (R. Proulx)*
Pro: 9, Not for high and holy things (MORNING SONG)
Song of Praise: S-236 (Benedictus es, Domine; J. Rutter)
Psalm: Psalm 123 (Guimont)
Seq: 536, Open your ears, O faithful people (YISRAEL V'ORAITA)**
Off: 59, Hark! a thrilling voice is sounding (MERTON)
Sanctus: S-125, Community Mass (Proulx)
Lord's Prayer: chanted (S-119 in Hymnal 1982)
Fraction Anthem: S-167, The disciples knew the Lord Jesus (M. Martens; Mode 6)
Comm: 490, I want to walk as a child of the light (HOUSTON)
Re: 551, Rise up, ye saints of God! (FESTAL SONG)
Postlude: Voluntary in F Major, Op. 7, No. 10 (J. Stanley)

* I'm doing it again - the sort of "subliminal" planting of music into peoples' brains. I am planning to introduce Proulx' Missa Oecumenica for the service music for Advent. Hopefully by the time we get to the First Sunday of Advent, the people will have the tune in their minds. I'm not worried about the Sanctus, which has the tune based on 560 from the hymnal (BEATITUDES, based on Russian Orthodox chant), but hopefully they'll have the tune for the Trisagion and the Agnus Dei in mind (based on Archangelsky's tune). Variations on this theme will be my prelude music for the next four Sundays.

** It's funny. Once I realised I programmed this piece, I started laughing. We discussed this in a workshop led by the very affable Rev. Dr. Richard Pfaff, who is a priest-associate at Chapel of the Cross and also Professor Emeritus at UNC Chapel Hill's History department. We were discussing the structure of this hymn, and those in attendance admit they've not heard it used much in church services. And yet, here I was, programming it for St Joseph's. Because of the way the sequence hymn is divided at St Joseph's (all by the last verse is sung as sequence whilst the very last verse is sung as the Gospel Procession processes back to the chancel), I had the very acute sense that I didn't exactly choose the sequence hymn very well. The message of the hymn was quite incongruous with that of the Gospel (the slaves and the talents, Mt 25:14-30). Oh well. Better luck next time?

Despite my self-chastisement, I did receive compliments from people, and much to my surprise, the one hymn they all were exceedingly happy to sing was that sequence hymn. I guess I'll say no more. I must be hard to please.


The Episcopal Centre at Duke University

The Twenty-seventh Sunday after Pentecost: Rite II
Prelude: Voluntary in F Major, Op. 7 No. 10 (Largo Staccato; J. Stanley)
Pro: 9, Not for high and holy things (MORNING SONG)
Gloria: S-278 (Mathias)
Psalm: Ps 123, recited
Seq: 536, Open your ears, O faithful people (YISRAEL V'ORAITA)**
Off: 59, Hark! a thrilling voice is sounding (MERTON)
Sanctus: S-128 (Mathias)
Lord's Prayer: chanted (S-119 in Hymnal 1982)
Comm: WLP 831, Ubi Caritas (Taizé)
Re: 551, Rise up, ye saints of God! (FESTAL SONG)
Postlude: Voluntary in F Major, Op. 7 No. 10 (Vivace; J. Stanley)


Compline at Chapel of the Cross.

For the third week in a row, I had to get the list from one of my fellow Compline choristers as I was still battling laryngitis. The voice is there, but the singing voice ... let's say that I could probably sing a very limited tenor if I was lucky. Many thanks to Ali C. for providing the list.

We've been using the Order for Compline, as set by David Hurd.

Here are our little additions:

O Lord, the maker (at ca. 5m 10s; William Mundy)
Psalm 91 (chanted to Tone 8)
Hymn: Christ, mighty Saviour (CHRISTE, LUX MUNDI, plainsong Mode 7)
In manus tuas (Sheppard; sung in addition to "Into your hands, O Lord, I commend my spirit ...)
Nunc Dimittis from Short Service (O. Gibbons)
Salve Regina (Marian antiphon right after the Dismissal)
Ave Maria (Robert Parsons)
Organ Voluntary by the abfab David Arcus.

Thanks again, Ali! As of this writing, the laryngitis is clearing up, and I am able to sing ... the question is, will I be an alto or a soprano come Sunday? I suppose we'll find out then ...

No comments: