Saturday, November 22, 2008

Ahhhh, Salabat!

Last night at St Joseph's, I hosted a rehearsal of the service choir for the Simbang Gabi Mass that will take place at Immaculate Conception Church on Friday, Dec 19 at 7.00 pm. It was so cold and miserable outside that I started feeling a bit nostalgic for the times I sang with the Simbang Gabi choir at my home parish (St Charles) in San Diego. Choir call was at 4.30 am, and as I got to the church, one of the choristers would press a nice steaming cup of hot salabat into my cold hands. Salabat, by the way, is Filipino Ginger Tea. It's great for throat ailments and the like.

It is really simple to make. Before I opened up the church, I was in the parish kitchen, putting this together. I will admit that I guessed on the amounts, but all the compliments I received after choir practice told me that I did well. And, everyone was very surprised at how easy it was to make.

Salabat (Filipino Ginger Tea)

Approximately 4 oz ginger
8 cups water
1.5 cups brown sugar, packed

Combine all ingredients, bring to a boil, and then simmer.

Choir practice lasted for about 2 hours, and so the salabat was simmering over that period of time. I guessed on the sugar. I'd say start off with about a cup and then adjust upward from there. It was very soothing.

Speaking of Simbang Gabi ... please indulge my pimpage here. (Okay, bad choice of words, but anyway ...)

Here is a poster that advertises our Simbang Gabi Mass. If you're in the Central NC area and would like to experience this piece of Filipino Catholic culture, please do try to come 'round for this.

No comments: