Wednesday, November 12, 2008

9 November - 26th Sunday after Pentecost - Proper 27


***sniffle sniffle***

I'm still feeling a little sick. Because my voice is not completely back, I've had to back out of cantoring the 7.45 am Mass for Immaculate Conception Church. Here is the music that was done there. As usual, the numbers come out of GIA's Gather Comprehensive 1994 (green cover):

Sunday 7.45 am Mass: The Feast of the Dedication of the Lateran Basilica
Gloria: 176 (Andrews)
Gospel Acclamation: 257, Alleluia 7 (Berthier).
Sanctus, Mem. Accl., Amen, Agnus Dei: Mass of Light

Pro: 662, Christ is made the sure foundation (ST THOMAS (Wade))
Psalm: 78, Psalm 84 (Gelineau)
Off: 771, Jerusalem, my happy home (LAND OF REST)
Comm: Organist's Voluntary
Re: 568, Father, we thank thee, who hast planted (RENDEZ À DIEU)


St. Joseph's Episcopal Church where I played my usual 10.30 am service. As usual, numbers are out of The Hymnal 1982.

The Twenty-sixth Sunday after Pentecost: Rite II
Prelude: Selections from Missa Oecumenica (R. Proulx)*
Pro: 11, Awake my soul, and with the sun (MORNING HYMN)
Song of Praise: S-236 (Benedictus es, Domine; J. Rutter)
Psalm: Psalm 78 (Guimont)
Seq: 61, "Sleepers, wake!" A voice astounds us (WACHET AUF)
Off: 195, Jesus lives! thy terrors now (MOWSLEY)
Sanctus: S-125, Community Mass (Proulx)
Lord's Prayer: chanted (S-119 in Hymnal 1982)
Fraction Anthem: S-167, The disciples knew the Lord Jesus (M. Martens; Mode 6)
Comm: 324, Let all mortal flesh keep silence (PICARDY, with descant by J. Clokey)
Re: 436, Lift up your heads, ye mighty gates (TRURO)
Postlude: Wachet auf, ruft uns die Stimme (F. Mendelssohn)**

* I'm doing it again - the sort of "subliminal" planting of music into peoples' brains. I am planning to introduce Proulx' Missa Oecumenica for the service music for Advent. Hopefully by the time we get to the First Sunday of Advent, the people will have the tune in their minds. I'm not worried about the Sanctus, which has the tune based on 560 from the hymnal (BEATITUDES, based on Russian Orthodox chant), but hopefully they'll have the tune for the Trisagion and the Agnus Dei in mind (based on Archangelsky's tune). Variations on this theme will be my prelude music for the next four Sundays.

** I was accompanied by Rob on bass guitar. Unusual, yes? But it's working out between us, and Rob was quite happy that I asked him to play alongside me. I'm working out some other pieces in which we can play together.

The Episcopal Centre at Duke University

The Twenty-sixth Sunday after Pentecost: Rite II
Prelude: Selections from Missa Oecumenica (R. Proulx)*
Pro: 11, Awake my soul, and with the sun (MORNING HYMN)
Gloria: S-278 (Mathias)
Psalm: Ps 78, recited
Seq: 61, "Sleepers, wake!" A voice astounds us (WACHET AUF)
Off: 195, Jesus lives! thy terrors now (MOWSLEY)
Sanctus: S-128 (Mathias)
Lord's Prayer: chanted (S-119 in Hymnal 1982)
Comm: WLP 831, Ubi Caritas (Taizé)
Re: 436, Lift up your heads, ye mighty gates (TRURO)
Postlude: Wachet auf, ruft uns die Stimme (F. Mendelssohn)

Compline at Chapel of the Cross.

For the second week in a row, I had to get the list from one of my fellow Compline choristers as I had a sore throat and didn't have much of a singing voice. It also sounds like I wasn't the only one out sick - Ali tells me that there were 14 men and 4 women present (!!!!). I'm sure they managed despite the reduced treble voice ranks. Many thanks to Ali C. for providing the list.

We've been using the Order for Compline, as set by David Hurd.

Here are our little additions:

Domine fac mecum (Thomas Morley)
Psalms 31 and 134 (chanted to Tone 8)
Hymn: To you before the close of day (TE LUCIS ANTE TERMINUM, plainsong Mode 8)
In manus tuas (Sheppard; sung in addition to "Into your hands, O Lord, I commend my spirit ...)
Nunc Dimittis from Short Service (O. Gibbons)
Salve Regina (Marian antiphon right after the Dismissal)
Ave Maria (Tomas Luis de Victoria)
Organ Voluntary by the equally abfab Van Quinn.

Thanks again, Ali! As of this writing, the sore throat is almost gone, but laryngitis is still there, so I, in all likelihood, will probably not be singing this Sunday's Compline service. But I again will endeavour to get the music for this Sunday so I can report it in this space, as usual ... with a little help from my friends.

No comments: