Wednesday, July 29, 2009

26 July - Eighth Sunday after Pentecost - Proper 12

I have three lists to share with you today.

My turn for cantoring came up last Sunday at the 7:45 am Mass at Immaculate Conception. Any numbers you see come out of GIA's Gather Comprehensive 1994 (green cover), unless otherwise specified.

My friend Andy took care of the playing duties, which he did entirely on the piano.


Sunday 7:45 am Mass: Seventeenth Sunday in Ordinary Time
Prelude: Minuet from Partita No. 1 in B-Flat (BWV 825; J. S. Bach)
Hymn in Procession: 545, Sing praise to the Lord (LAUDATE DOMINUM)
Gloria: 176, New Mass for Congregations (C.T. Andrews)
Psalm: 137, Psalm 145 (D. Haas)
Gospel Acclamation: 187, Mass of Light (D. Haas)
Offertory: 747, All people that on earth do dwell (OLD HUNDREDTH)
Sanctus, Mem. Accl., Amen, Agnus Dei: Mass of Light
Communion: 815, You satisfy the hungry heart (BICENTENNIAL)
Recessional Hymn: 568, Father, we thank Thee who hast planted (RENDEZ À DIEU)
Postlude: Improvisation on Rendez à Dieu




St. Joseph's Episcopal Church where I played the usual 10:30 am service. As usual, the numbers are out of The Hymnal 1982.

Eighth Sunday after Pentecost: Holy Eucharist Rite II
Prelude: Voluntary in a minor (M. Greene)
Processional Hymn: 390, Praise to the Lord, the Almighty, the King of creation (LOBE DEN HERREN)
Trisagion: S-100, New Plainsong (Hurd)
Psalm: Ps 14 (Simplified Anglican Chant)
Sequence Hymn: 404, We will extol you, ever-blessed Lord (OLD 124TH)
Offertory Hymn: 455, O Love of God, how strong and true (DUNEDIN)
Sanctus: S-130, Deutsche Messe (Schubert/Proulx))
Lord's Prayer: chanted (S-119 in Hymnal 1982)
Fraction Anthem: S-169, My flesh is food indeed (Urwin)
Communion Song: Gather Comprehensive 830, One bread, one body (J. Foley)
Recessional Hymn: 304, I come with joy to meet my Lord (LAND OF REST)
Postlude: Allegro moderato in F Major (J.E. Kindermann)

Interestingly enough, a woman approached me after the service and told me that she was visiting from somewhere in Wisconsin. She admired the icons we had in the church. I explained to her that we were sharing space with St. Basil the Great Romanian Orthodox Church, and that the icons belonged to them. She then said she was going to go home and tell her friend that we sung his uncle's song in church for Communion. As soon as she said that, I thought, better keep my gob shut. Those of you who have been following me know how I feel about that song.




I played the 4:00 pm service for Carol Woods, which is organised by Chapel of the Cross. During the summer, the music list would generally reflect what was played at the 8:00 am Rite I Eucharist.

The music list:

Eighth Sunday after Pentecost: Holy Eucharist Rite I
Prelude: Holsworthy Church Bells (S. Wesley; arr. C. Callahan); Sinfonia (from Cantata No. 156; J.S. Bach)
Processional Hymn: 390, Praise to the Lord, the Almighty, the King of creation (LOBE DEN HERREN)
Psalm: Psalm 14 (recited)
Offertory Hymn: 380, From all that dwell below the skies (OLD HUNDREDTH)
Comm: Schmücke dich, O liebe Seele (Op. 122, No. 5; J. Brahms)
Recessional Hymn: 448, O love, how deep, how broad, how high (DEUS TUORUM MILITUM)
Postlude: Psalm XIX (B. Marcello)

The next Carol Woods service will be on August 9.

No comments: