Saturday, July 25, 2009

19 July - Seventh Sunday after Pentecost - Proper 11

*pats my poor, neglected blog*

I have a couple of lists to share with you here. Better late than never, I say.

Last Sunday, I was asked to play the 7:45 am Mass at Immaculate Conception. Any numbers you see come out of GIA's Gather Comprehensive 1994 (green cover), unless otherwise specified.

I had planned to play a prelude piece, but either my watch was too slow, or my cantor was too quick. He started his opening schpiel early, and I think we ended up starting the Mass at least two minutes too early. But that's okay.

Sunday 7:45 am Mass: Sixteenth Sunday in Ordinary Time
Hymn in Procession: 606, How firm a foundation (FOUNDATION)
Gloria: 176, New Mass for Congregations (C.T. Andrews)
Psalm: 30, Psalm 23 (J. Gelineau)
Gospel Acclamation: 187, Mass of Light (D. Haas)
Offertory: 635, The King of love my shepherd is (ST. COLUMBA)
Sanctus, Mem. Accl., Amen, Agnus Dei: Mass of Light
Communion Voluntary: Schmücke dich, O liebe Seele (Op. 122, No. 5; J. Brahms)
Recessional Hymn: 612, Amazing Grace (NEW BRITAIN)
Postlude: Andante from Voluntary in g minor (Op. 6, No. 10; J. Stanley)




St. Joseph's Episcopal Church where I played the usual 10:30 am service. As usual, the numbers are out of The Hymnal 1982.

Seventh Sunday after Pentecost: Holy Eucharist Rite II
Prelude: Grave from from Voluntary in g minor (Op. 6, No. 10; J. Stanley)
Processional Hymn: 345, Savior, again to thy dear Name we raise (ELLERS)
Trisagion: S-100, New Plainsong (Hurd)
Psalm: Ps 89 (Simplified Anglican Chant)
Sequence Hymn: 567, Thine arm, O Lord, in days of old (ST. MATTHEW)
Offertory Hymn: 653, Dear Lord and Father of all mankind (REPTON)
Sanctus: S-130, Deutsche Messe (Schubert/Proulx))
Lord's Prayer: chanted (S-119 in Hymnal 1982)
Fraction Anthem: S-169, My flesh is food indeed (Urwin)
Communion Song: 693, Just as I am, without one plea (WOODWORTH)
Recessional Hymn: 486, Hosanna to the living Lord (HOSANNA)
Postlude: Andante from Voluntary in g minor (Op. 6, No. 10; J. Stanley)

After the service, a couple of people approached me, telling me how disappointed they were when they couldn't sing the Offertory hymn because it was set to a different tune than they remembered. I'll admit to not having paid attention that it was set to two different hymntunes. The one I know (and absolutely am crazy about) is Repton. It was always one of my favourite hymns to sing when I was a member of the Senior Choir at Chapel of the Cross. So whenever I think of that hymn text, the only tune that pops into my head is Repton.

The other hymntune that goes with that text is Rest, as penned by Frederick Charles Maker. I sight-read it after the service, and it was completely unfamiliar to me. I guess I have my bias. I absolutely adore the text of "Dear Lord and Father of all mankind" to Repton. It is completely foreign to me set to Rest. To each his own, I suppose.

Tomorrow, I will have three services: a 7:45 am Mass at Immaculate Conception, at which I will cantor whilst my friend Andy takes care of the keyboard duties; my usual 10:30 am Rite II service at St. Joseph's, and a 4:00 pm Rite I service at Carol Woods. I am looking forward to seeing the people there.

No comments: