Thursday, June 5, 2008

On the mend ... hopefully ...

Those of you who have been following my scattered thoughts over the past couple of months either here on my blog, or on my Myspace or Facebook pages know that I have been whinging over my months-long battle with laryngitis. Despite my voice still being horridly raspy, I decided to try challenging myself by singing. My friends Terry and Jonathan will have their long-time relationship blessed at Chapel of the Cross this Saturday. They've already asked me to ring the bell before and after the service (the standard 7-ring "call to worship" before the service, and a joyous 3-minute ringing of the bell right after the Closing Hymn). Van saw me, and asked me what I thought my range was. I told him definitely not soprano. It's just as well - he needed some extra voices in the alto section. He'll have another couple of countertenors on hand for Saturday's service, so hopefully the altos will be able to hold their own.

Anyway ... we had a 1.5 hour rehearsal, and much to my amazement, my voice actually stayed quite stable. I was drinking water constantly throughout the rehearsal, and much to my chagrin, I found I had to sight-sing most of what was placed in front of me - for most of it, I knew the soprano parts well, and so I really had to pay attention that I didn't sing those notes, lest I rasp myself into next Tuesday.

So this makes me optimistic that my recovery will continue. It's going far far slower than I expected, but hopefully my voice will be as recovered as it can be (please, no nodes!) ...

No comments: