Sunday, June 22, 2008

22 June - Sixth Sunday after Pentecost/Proper 7

Here are my usual lists. I played two services today.

St. Joseph's Episcopal Church - numbers are out of The Hymnal 1982.

The Fourth Sunday after Pentecost: Holy Eucharist: Rite II
Prelude: Prière à Notre Dame (Suite Gothique; L. Boëllmann)
Pro: 372, Praise to the living God! (LEONI)
Trisagion: S-100 (New Plainsong Mass; Hurd)
Psalm: Ps 86 (Barrett)
Seq: 655, O Jesus, I have promised (NYLAND)
Off: 296, We know that Christ is raised and dies no more (ENGLEBERG)
Sanctus: S-130, Deutsche Messe (Schubert)
Lord's Prayer: chanted (S-119 in Hymnal 1982)
Fraction Anthem: S-169, My flesh is food indeed (Urwin)
Comm: 178, Alleluia, alleluia! Give thanks to the risen Lord (ALLELUIA NO. 1)
Re: 537, Christ for the world we sing (MOSCOW)
Postlude: Toccata (Suite Gothique; L. Boëllmann)

I also played the bi-weekly service at Carol Woods, which is organised by Chapel of the Cross. This was a simple service, really resembling the 8.00 am summer morning Rite I services at Chapel of the Cross, with a few omissions, depending upon the Presider of the Day. I've agreed to serve as the service pianist for the whole of the summer, up until my services at the Episcopal Centre at Duke University are required again shortly before Labour Day.

The Sixth Sunday after Pentecost: Holy Eucharist: Rite II
Pro: 450, All hail the power of Jesus' Name! (CORONATION)
Off: 445, Praise to the Holiest in the height (GERONTIUS)
Comm: Allegro from Voluntary VII in e minor, Op. 7 (John Stanley)
Re: 535, Ye servants of God, your Master proclaim (PADERBORN)
Postlude: Psalm XIX (B. Marcello; arr. C. Callahan)

Thank goodness for Weddings for Manuals, which contains some of the more "popular" wedding music, arranged for manuals by Charles Callahan. It works on the piano ... plus, I thought, especially as far as Communion is concerned, it would be nice to have a piece that I can easily shorten or lengthen, depending on how Communion was going. Unlike most places, here the priest goes and takes Communion to the people. Looking on the congregation (and it was a pretty good turn-out; I'd say around 30 or so), I'd say most are in their late 70s all the way up to their 90s and beyond.

After the service was over, a couple of people approached me, asking me what was that "Bach" piece I played at Communion ... !!! ... well, I suppose it might be Bach-like ... oh, this is interesting - the Allegro is apparently the best-known piece of organ music by Stanley. This surprises me - I would have thought his Trumpet Voluntary (Voluntary V, Op. 6) would have been more famous, especially considering all the weddings it's played at ...

No comments: