Friday, May 30, 2008

Hawaiian Macaroni Salad

I will admit - the one thing I really really loved whilst in Hawaii that I could eat and never tire of is the macaroni salad that goes along with the plate lunches found in the restaurants over there. Thanks to Google, I found a recipe for it. When I ate it, I thought it was very simple, but very good. I was able to discern that the primary ingredients were macaroni, shredded carrots, and mayonnaise. I see I wasn't too far off the mark.

Here is the recipe (and yes, I will definitely be making this):

3 c macaroni
1/4 c grated carrots
1 c mayonnaise
1/4 c milk
salt and pepper to taste

Cook macaroni until tender.
Add carrots, mayonnaise, and milk until well-coated. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Chill in refrigerator until ready to serve.

Naturally, the plate lunches in Hawaii usually involve two scoops of rice, a scoop of this wonderful macaroni salad, and a meat of choice. I tried the meat jun, chicken katsu, kalbi, and loco moco plate lunches. I enjoyed them all. But it's the macaroni salad I particularly loved, and so I definitely will be making this one.

I'm sure things like boiled chopped eggs, petite peas, finely chopped onions, etc. can be added to this basic recipe. But for now, I'll have it, plain, with rice.

No comments: