Tuesday, May 27, 2008

A Hawaiian Wedding

I'm blogging on this rather late, but as they say, better late than never, no?

My friends, Iris Obispo and Jared Peak celebrated their 5th wedding anniversary. They were married in front of a Justice of the Peace, and decided for their 5th anniversary to have their marriage performed in the Catholic Church. The one they decided on: Iris' childhood parish, and her paternal grandmother's current parish, Our Lady of Sorrows in Wahiawa, HI.

Naturally, this made her grandmother quite happy, and Iris' parents very appreciative that Iris and Jared chose to have their church wedding take place at that particular parish. They asked me some time back to play the piano at their wedding. I accepted, on the condition that, like a good AGO member, I would not be depriving the incumbent musician his/her income. I later found out that this particular parish's music program is completely volunteer-run.

With that, here is the Order of Worship. The numbers come out of OCP's Breaking Bread 2008:

Prelude pieces:
Holsworthy Church Bells (S. S. Wesley)
Sheep may safely graze (J. S. Bach)
Fantasia (J. Pachelbel)
Sinfonia (from Cantata 156; J. S. Bach)
Entr'acte from "Rosamunde" (F. Schubert)
Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring (J. S. Bach)

Entourage Processional:
Air from the Water Music (G. F. Handel)

Bridal Processional:
The Prince of Denmark's March (J. Clarke)

Opening Prayer
Old Testament Reading:
Tobit 7:6-14

Responsorial Psalm:
Ps 148:1-4; 9-14 (Guimont's Easter Alleluia; verses adapted to the associated Psalm tone)

New Testament Reading: 1 Corinthians 12:31-13:8a
Gospel Acclamation: Celtic Alleluia
Gospel: John 17:20-26
Homily
Statement of Intentions and Consent
Blessing and Exchange of Rings
Prayer of the Faithful
Presentation and Preparation of the Gifts
Offertory Hymn:
483, Prayer of St. Francis

Sanctus, Mem. Accl., Amen, Agnus Dei: 882 - 885, Mass of Creation

Nuptial Blessing
The Rite of Peace
Communion Hymns:
Sa 'Yo Lamang (S. Borres, P. Gan, M.V. Francisco, no relation to me though)
617, Blest Are They

Prayer After Communion
Final Blessing
Closing Hymn:
556, Joyful, Joyful, We Adore Thee

Postlude: The Heavens Declare the Glory of God (Psalm XIX; B. Marcello)


Much to my chagrin, my voice was not quite well enough, but there was no choice - I was the cantor. I chose not to sing any of the hymns, hoping that my playing of them would be leadership enough, despite the piano. (I feel more comfortable leading a congregation from the organ.) I had to "cantor" the Psalm (in which I got lost, but managed to right myself at the end) and the Gospel Acclamation. In addition, I ended up having to sing the Tagalog piece despite my raspy voice.

I did receive a nice compliment from Fr. Edgar after the Mass however; he told me he was very impressed by my Tagalog pronunciation. I told him I sang with the Filipino Choir back in North Carolina. He said it was good that a "local born" such as myself was getting myself involved in such an organisation in order to remain in contact with my cultural roots, and expressed the hope that other local borns would desire to follow suit. (Yes, I've heard this time and time again from the other Filipinos in the Triangle. My usual answer: it's the way for me to keep in touch with my "Inner Filipino.")

It ended up being a lovely Mass, and both Iris and Jared were very appreciative of the job I had done. I received many compliments from others after the Mass, and throughout the Reception, which took place at Schofield Barracks, people approached me and lauded me on a job well done. So that made me feel great ... plus, from that point forward, I knew that, despite not having much time left in my Hawaiian adventure, I would be able to enjoy and appreciate more the wonders that Oahu had to offer.

No comments: