Thursday, May 22, 2008

Another day, More observations

A six-hour time difference seems like such a huge thing.

Whenever I can, I've been making some time to prepare for the General Chemistry class I'll be teaching next week. I think I have enough to be getting on with on Blackboard, and I emailed the syllabus to my students. Waking up at 5.00 am to ensure I can contact people before lunch Eastern Daylight Time wreaks a little havoc on my sleep schedule as well. But then again, that's what glorious afternoon naps are for ...

So I decided to take a long walk today. I had hoped to walk all the way out to the Ala Moana Mall. I know, I could take the bus, and it looks like the #8 bus would have taken me there, but I felt like I needed the walk. Breakfast was a mini Loco Moco. That's definitely one thing I'll have to try to make for myself once I get back to the Mainland. The macaroni salad seems simple enough, but I'm sure there must be something about the dressing they use that makes the very simple macaroni salad uniquely their own. (I'm speaking of the way L&L Barbeque does theirs.)

So I walked, made a few stops at the various ABC Stores to check out what Hawaiiana they might have ... imagine this, Poi English Muffins ... and decided that perhaps it was a bit of an ambitious undertaking, turned around and started back. At least I found that the Wailana Coffee House isn't that bad of a walk. It's a 24-hour eatery on Ala Moana Blvd. I'm sure they get heaps of business, given that they are located within walking distance of some pretty big hotels, the Hilton Hawaiian Village amongst them. The evening I wanted to have supper there with the Obispos, they actually closed for "maintenance." Lori said that was the first time she ever heard that the Wailana was closed for any reason. Hmmmm.

Interestingly enough, as I was walking back to my hotel, a couple stopped me and asked me if they were any closer to some egg place along Ala Moana. I said, sorry, I'm not sure. I suppose I should be flattered. That's how well I blend in here - people think I'm native.

And as I was thinking about it, I realised that I do feel entirely in my element here. I think I could be happy living in Hawaii, just as long as I have a job that would keep me interested. It would be a half-way point between relatives in the Philippines and relatives on the Mainland.

But it's just a thought. I do know that Jared is seriously considering moving to Hawaii (Wahiawa, perhaps? Or perhaps the North Shore ...) once he finishes his Pharm.D. programme at UNC Chapel Hill.

Well, I'll be biding my time until a 4.00 pm wedding rehearsal in Wahiawa. In the meantime, I'll be enjoying my Poi English Muffins, and having a bite or two of Collon's Kona Coffee Biscuits.

No comments: