Sunday, May 18, 2008

Now this is being Pastoral.

I meant to blog on this yesterday, but never got around to it. The Presider at the Saturday Vigil Mass at Immaculate Conception was Fr. Dan. We chatted briefly after the Mass. He was on sabbatical for 6 months last year. He returned to IC last February. I'll admit that since I started my joint position at St. Joseph's and the Duke Episcopal Centre, I've made myself rather scarce at IC, most of the time appearing only when I had a Mass to cantor or to play the organ/piano.

Anyway, Fr. Dan enquired about my job situation. Frankly speaking, I was very surprised he remembered that at the time he left for his sabbatical, I was searching for a job because my fellowship from the National Institute on Drug Abuse had ended, and at the time, I had just landed the Adjunct Professor position at Campbell University.

I admitted that I'm still discerning what it is I wanted to do with my career, but in the meantime, I'm teaching and making music. Fr. Dan seemed satisfied with my answer, stating that it's nice that I'm doing something that makes me feel happy.

And in the meantime, I'm marvelling at how he remembered a quick conversation held almost 10 months ago. I recall that this is Fr. Dan's first parish as he was an academic for many years at the Washington Theological Union. I was impressed by him when he first landed at IC, and my interaction with him yesterday reminded me why. He's also a great homilist, and he certainly keeps your attention.

No comments: