Saturday, February 23, 2008

Ack!!! Dreamage!!!

Last night I had the strangest dream
I ever dreamed before ...


I'm not trying to channel Ed McCurdy, or Simon and Garfunkel for that matter ... but I did just have the strangest dream.

So I found myself at the piano at Immaculate Conception. Although it seemed like an alternate Immaculate Conception - perhaps a version of the old church, that is now their extremely spacious Narthex, erm, Gathering Space - and it appeared that no one was in charge, I was just the one asked to accompany the choir. I don't know what happened to the Opening Hymn ... and the choir was processing in (something that hasn't happened in the 8 years I've been a parishioner at IC). It degraded to ... someone ... going over a problematic phrase over and over again. It certainly wasn't what was planned (I heard the voice of Jesus say, set to Kingsfold).

And then that ... Penitential Litany ... that was programmed. That went horribly wrong too. Well actually, it wasn't the music to what was planned, it was actually some semblance of the Gospel Acclamation that the current DM composed himself. It appeared two different cantors did different parts of it, and it went forever and ever and ever. I got lost, and then all of a sudden, it ended, and not in the way anyone expected it to. The Celebrant, all resplendent in his very simple purple chasuble (keep in mind these are Franciscans who are staffing this parish) was staring daggers at me, and I was wishing there was a hole I could climb in. He went on with the Mass.

And that was it. I woke up, wondering what just happened.

Here's to hoping that won't happen when I play that Mass later this evening!

ps - if you get a chance, give the song I referred to above a listen. It's been lauded as possibly the best anti-war song ever written. You may have a look at the lyrics here. I particularly fancy Simon and Garfunkel's cover of this song, which you may access here by pressing on play on the player you see on the screen.

No comments: