Friday, February 22, 2008

24 February - Lent III

Where is the time going? Hard to believe there is only 2 weeks of the Spring I term left; I have to start writing up a pair of Final Examinations, one for the lecture course, and the other for the lab portion of my course!!!

But that is not why I am blogging at the moment. The flying time may also refer to this season of Lent. Lent III already, are you kidding me??!!

So here is my usual group of lists.

First list: 5.30 pm Saturday Mass at Immaculate Conception Church. This time, I'm the chump at the Grand Orgue. Well, really, mostly at the piano, with a few snippets of organ here and there. AFAIK, I will be directing a small group of 5 voices, and one of them will be serving as Cantor. I did not choose this music; I am only asked to play it. As usual, the numbers are from Gather Comprehensive (1994).

February 23: Lent III (5.30 pm)

Kyrie: 398 Hold Us in Your Mercy: Penitential Litany (Cooney/Daigle)
Gospel Acclamation: Praise be to you O Jesus Christ our Lord (Eggers)
Sanctus, Mem. Accl., Amen: Mass of Hope (Farrell)
Agnus Dei: 312 Agnus Dei XVIII

Pro: 646 I heard the voice of Jesus say (KINGSFOLD)
Psalm: 89 Psalm 95 (Haas)
Off: Hmmmm. Nothing planned, mainly because at the other Masses, the choir will be singing Fauré's abfab Cantique de Jean Racine. I just might move one of the scheduled Communion hymns to this slot as I would really prefer not to play an instrumental voluntary at this point, and attendance at the Saturday 5.30 pm Mass is usually not so much as to require two Communion hymns.
Comm: 502 Come to the Water (Foley); 702 The Love of the Lord (Joncas)
Re: Organ voluntary

IIRC, the DM has been playing a prelude at this Mass, so I will play what I did as a prelude last week and bring back Bach's Liebster Jesu, wir sind hier (BWV 731). As for the Organ Voluntary to accompany the Recessing Procession out the door, it will be Bach again, Jesu, meine Freude (BWV 610).

Second list: St. Joseph's Episcopal Church. Numbers are out of The Hymnal 1982.

February 24: Lent III:

Prelude: Jesu, meine Freude (BWV 610; J. S. Bach)
Pro: 686 Come, thou fount of every blessing (NETTLETON)
Kyrie: Willan (S-91 in Hymnal 1982)
Psalm: Ps 95 (Barrett)
Seq: 650 O Jesus, joy of loving hearts (JESU DULCIS MEMORIA; Mode 2)
Off: 692 I heard the voice of Jesus say (sung to KINGSFOLD instead of THE THIRD TUNE)
Sanctus: S-124 New Plainsong (D. Hurd)
Lord's Prayer: chanted (S-119 in Hymnal 1982)
Fraction Anthem: S 161 New Plainsong (D. Hurd)
Comm: Return to God (Haugen - see the note in my Lent I post if you're scratching your head at my Communion choice.)
Re: 690 Guide me, O thou great Jehovah (CWM RHONDDA)

Third list: Episcopal Centre at Duke University.

February 24: Lent III:

Prelude: Haven't decided yet, but will probably be some sort of improvisation on Nettleton, thanks to the toy I get to play, which is a 1-manual, 3-stop Holtkamp)
Pro: 686 Come, thou fount of every blessing (NETTLETON)
Decalogue: S-353, chanted a cappella
Kyrie: Willan (S-91 in Hymnal 1982)
Seq: 658 As longs the deer for cooling streams (MARTYRDOM)
Off: 142 Lord, who throughout these forty days (ST. FLAVIAN)
Sanctus: S-114 (Willan)
Lord's Prayer: chanted (S-119 in Hymnal 1982)
Fraction Anthem: S-158 (Willan)
Comm: 692 I heard the voice of Jesus say (THE THIRD TUNE)
Re: 690 Guide me, O thou great Jehovah (CWM RHONDDA)

Fourth List: Compline at Chapel of the Cross.

We've been using the Order for Compline, as set by David Hurd. Our little additions:

Hide Thou Not Thy Face (Farrant; sung as Introit)
In manus tuas (Sheppard; sung in addition to "Into your hands, O Lord, I commend my spirit ...)
Ave Regina Cælorum (Marian antiphon right after the Dismissal)
Ave Maria ... virgo serena (des Prez)

No comments: