Wednesday, February 6, 2008

6 February - Ash Wednesday

Eeks. Lent is here. Already. Like now. It's too early. It's the earliest it's been since 1913, according to a Talking Head at WCPE, the Classical Station.

Well, I had the pleasure of attending two services today. So that means I have a couple of lists to post.

Immaculate Conception Church

As usual, the numbers come out of GIA's Gather Comprehensive 1994 (green cover).

February 6: Ash Wednesday (7.00 am)

Gospel Acclamation: 267 Proulx
Sanctus, Mem. Accl., Amen: 300, 301, 302 Land of Rest
Agnus Dei: 312 Agnus Dei XVIII (yes, in Latin)

Pro: 388 The Glory of these Forty Days (OLD 100TH)**
Psalm: 56 Psalm 51 (Haugen)
Off: 387 Attende Domine (with that absolutely horrid English translation by Wright)
Comm: 389 Return to God (sodding editorial idiots didn't include any musical notation in the pew edition. So much for mass participation in the singing ...)
Re: None - Leave in Silence (and no, I'm not channelling Depeche Mode when I say that!)

** I'll have to admit - I much much prefer Erhalt uns, Herr with The Glory of these Forty Days over Old 100th. But I guess that's just me.

Service #2 was a joint service between St. Joseph's Episcopal Church and Episcopal Centre at Duke University.

Numbers are from The Hymnal 1982.

February 6: Ash Wednesday

No music until the Offertory. Yes, even the ashes were distributed in silence ... as they were at the Mass at Immaculate Conception this morning ...

Off: 142 Lord who throughout these forty days (ST. FLAVIAN)
Sanctus: S-114 Missa de Sancta Maria Magdalena (Willan)
Lord's Prayer: chanted (S-119 in Hymnal 1982, if you're interested)
Agnus Dei: S-158 Missa de Sancta Maria Magdalena (Willan)
Comm: Taizé setting of "Bless The Lord my soul."
Re: 149 Eternal Lord of love, behold your Church (OLD 124TH)

Well, I suppose this is Squee-worthy: despite the fact we had Duke students in attendance, not one mention was made by anyone about the big Duke-UNC basketball match at UNC before, during, or after the service. So Vicar, Chaplain, and I were congratulating ourselves after the service for that very fact. Heh.

No comments: