Saturday, January 5, 2008

Chemistry 101, Blended Course-Style

It's official. My class has made minimum enrollment, and so I will be teaching Chemistry 101 this term. First day of class is Tuesday. Not much planned, really - just a couple of hours of lecture on Chapters 1 and 2, and then after a break, I'm going to have the students sign an agreement of sorts that they will conduct themselves in a safe manner and that they understand the potential hazards of working in a Chemistry Lab. Not that I'm going to have them do anything dangerous. First day of lab, they're just merely going to weigh out stuff, and measure liquids, to get them used to the idea of doing that.

Because this is a Blended Class, Thursdays will be "virtual class days." So they will find a PowerPoint presentation on Blackboard for them to peruse, plus I will inform them that I will be tethered to the computer for the 4-hour period (5.15 pm - 9.00 pm). I am toying with the idea of asking them to Skype me, or if I can figure out a way to set up a chat room, I might do that as well.

Those of you with experience in Distance Education are more than welcome to toss any ideas my way. Just use the comment box for that purpose.

In the meantime ... I'm off to find an organ. This reading Harry Potter fanfiction has bloody well taken up way too much of my time. I stumbled upon another one that I just sat through, reading all 164 bloody chapters of it. I just couldn't stop reading it. Yet another Snape/Hermione ship, but fascinating, and this writer has put in a lot of research in writing it. It's called The Apprentice and the Necromancer, if you're so inclined to have a look.

No comments: