Tuesday, January 22, 2008

20 January - Second Sunday after Epiphany / Second Sunday in Ordinary Time

Despite my having taken on the Organist/Choirmaster position at St. Joseph's Episcopal Church and Organist position at the Episcopal Centre at Duke University, I am still volunteering my Cantoring services at Immaculate Conception (RC) Church as my cantoring duties does not conflict with either of my new church positions. My turn at cantoring came with the Second Sunday in Ordinary Time.

There is no list for Duke because they generally do a Contemplative service every third Sunday of the month, so they won't need an organist as they generally do Taizé chants for those services.

Immaculate Conception (As usual, the numbers come out of GIA's Gather Comprehensive 1994 (green cover):

January 20: Ordinary 2 (Sun. 7.45 am)

Gloria: Mass of Creation
Alleluia: 261 Murray; Verse to Tone VIII-g
Sanctus, Mem. Accl., Amen, Agnus Dei: Mass of Creation

Pro: 376 Songs of thankfulness and praise (SALZBURG)
Psalm: 40 (Guimont)
Off: 577 Come, my way (THE CALL)
Comm: a very abbreviated Cantilena from Sonata in d minor (Op. 148, No. 11; Rheinberger)
Re: 642 Jesus, lead the way (ROCHELLE)
Postlude: Improvisation on Rochelle

I'm not sure what the organist played as a prelude, and I forgot to ask her what it was she played. I noticed, however, that attendance was waaaaaaay down, but I attribute that to icy conditions. For example, a couple of friends I know who come in from Hillsborough weren't there. Another friend snarkily states they live "at the edge of dirt," however when the roads ice over by where they live, they really can't go anywhere very safely. Such is the slings and arrows and perils of living in the South when a hint of wintry weather hits ...


St. Joseph's Episcopal Church:

January 20: Epiphany 2

Prelude: Fantasia (Pachelbel)
Pro: Brightest and best of the stars of the morning (MORNING STAR)
Gloria: Powell (S-280 in Hymnal 1982, if you're interested)
Seq: Ye servants of God (PADERBORN)
Off: The people who in darkness walked (DUNDEE)
Doxology: Old 100th
Sanctus: Community Mass (Proulx)
Lord's Prayer: chanted (S-119 in Hymnal 1982, if you're interested)
Fraction Anthem: New Plainsong (D. Hurd)
Comm: Here I Am, Lord (Schutte)
Re: I want to walk as a child of the Light (HOUSTON) (we did this in D as opposed to D-flat)
Postlude: Prelude in C (BWV 553, attributed to J. T. Krebs)

Thanks to rather frightful weather (icy conditions in the more rural parts of the Triangle area), I was down to one tenor and one bass guitarist. So the three of us were essentially it as far as the music was concerned. We managed though, and we still made a Joyful Sound to the Lord. Here's hoping the weather will be more cooperative next Sunday ...

No comments: