Tuesday, January 29, 2008

27 January - Third Sunday after Epiphany

Naturally, I am late in posting these lists. Admittedly, I've gotten into the unhappy habit of choosing voluntary music the night before the service ... and even starting to look at the music the night before. Certainly doesn't help the stress levels any, but admittedly, I've been so into Harry Potter Fan Fiction that I've turned into a formless, shapeless blob. This extreme procrastination has also affected my classwork as well. I've got a group of irate students who are demanding their marks from quizzes and exams, so I know I'd better get on it.

So. Lists. As I was the one who chose the music this time around, you will see similarities between the hymns chosen for both St. Joseph's and the Episcopal Centre at Duke. Numbers are from The Hymnal 1982.

St. Joseph's Episcopal Church:

January 27: Epiphany 3

Prelude: Prelude in B-flat Major (attr. Bach, may be J.T. Krebs)
Pro: 304 I come with joy (LAND OF REST)
Gloria: Powell (S-280 in Hymnal 1982, if you're interested)
Seq: 7 Christ, whose glory fills the skies (RATISBON)
Off: 653 Dear Lord and Father of mankind (REPTON) (with 3rd verse setting by Willcocks)
Doxology: Old 100th
Sanctus: Community Mass (Proulx)
Lord's Prayer: chanted (S-119 in Hymnal 1982, if you're interested)
Fraction Anthem: New Plainsong (D. Hurd)
Comm: Lord, When You Came (Pescador de Hombres) (Choir only)
Re: 539 O Zion, haste (TIDINGS)
Postlude: Fugue in B-flat Major (attr. Bach, may be J.T. Krebs)

Most in the choir were not familiar with Lord, When You Came but they picked it up very quickly, and were very happy with it. It worked very well with our group (consisting of 5 voices, a flautist, a guitarist, and a bass guitarist).


Episcopal Centre at Duke University:

January 27: Epiphany 3:

Prelude: Prelude on "Land of Rest" (Wilbur Held)
Pro: 126 The people who in darkness walked (DUNDEE)
Gloria: Mathias
Seq: 7 Christ, whose glory fills the skies (RATISBON)
Off: 653 Dear Lord and Father of mankind (REPTON)
Sanctus: C. Hampton setting (S-127, if you're interested)
Comm: 304 I come with joy (LAND OF REST)
Re: 539 O Zion, haste (TIDINGS)

No comments: