Sunday, January 6, 2008

6 January - The Epiphany of Our Lord

I played the 5.15 pm service at Chapel of the Cross. It will be my last 5.15 pm service for a while as I start my dual position at St. Joseph's Episcopal and the Episcopal Centre at Duke University next Sunday. The Duke position would only be for the academic year, so I will be available to return to the 5.15 pm organist crew during the summer.

I also had quite an emotional morning, bidding farewell to the Faith Sharing group I've been a part of, since with my new position, I will be unable to continue a lively Bible Study session over breakfast at the Appleby's. Everyone was happy for me and gave me much encouragement and well wishes. I told them they'll still probably see me from time to time as I will still cantor the 7.45 am Mass at Immaculate Conception. At this point, considering my situation, I may even be willing to sub from time to time for the 7.45 am Mass (and if I'm up for pain, possibly even the Saturday 5.30 pm Mass ... if I'm really really up for pain ...) and consider that as a donation of my Time and Talent.

Then at the end of choir rehearsal, besides sharing the sad news of Barb McMullan's death and upcoming funeral for tomorrow afternoon, Van also shared with the group that this would be my last Sunday with them as I would be moving into a church job of my own. People were generally happy, but I got an awful lot of pouty looks ("St. Joseph's gain is our loss") ... I'm generally not a huggy type of person, but I received lots of hugs and pats on the back this morning from the choristers. I'll have to send a thank you note as they've received me with open arms, and I truly enjoyed the friendship and fellowship they provided to me. I will be singing at the funeral tomorrow, in addition to the blessing of Lee's and Robert's union on Saturday. Plus, I will still be singing with the Compline Choir, so as I've been telling people all day, Chapel of the Cross will not be getting rid of me so readily.

Oh, here I am prattling on and on. I did mention I was providing a music list! Here it is. I didn't finalise my voluntary music until an hour before the service began.

January 6: The Epiphany of Our Lord (5.15 pm)

Prelude: What Child Is This (Gehrke); Wie schön leuchtet der Morgenstern (J. C. Bach)
Pro: As with gladness men of old (DIX)
Sequence: We three kings of Orient are (THREE KINGS OF ORIENT)
Offertory: What child is this (GREENSLEEVES)
Sanctus: Community Mass (Proulx)
Communion: Two settings of Vom Himmel hoch, da komm ich her (Zachau and Moser; the latter sounding very notey, but at least it covered the whole of Communion, and the timing of finishing was perfect ...)
Re: What star is this, with beams so bright (PUER NOBIS)
Postlude: In dir ist Freude, BWV 615 (J. S. Bach)

So I threw these folks a bone - Van and I played the exact same piece for Postlude. He had access to a Zimbelstern. I didn't. But that's okay. People actually stayed for the Postlude and thanked me afterward. Hee hee.

Oh, I guess these service music lists will now be a weekly feature of my blog as I now have a regular job that requires them. I'll even get a go at planning the music for two churches. I might actually start feeling like a real Church Musician! What a concept ...

No comments: