Tuesday, January 22, 2008

13 January - First Sunday after Epiphany / Baptism of Our Lord Jesus Christ

This was my first Sunday at both St. Joseph's Episcopal Church and the Episcopal Centre at Duke University. The following are the music lists for both services. I did not pick the music for these service. My turn for planning the music starts for 27 January and beyond.

With that, the lists.

St. Joseph's Episcopal Church:

January 13: Epiphany 1 / Baptism of Our Lord Jesus Christ

Prelude: (A rather lame) Improvisation on On Jordan's Bank (WINCHESTER NEW)
Pro: Here in Christ we gather (UBI CARITAS (Murray))
Seq: Come down, O Love divine (DOWN AMPNEY)
Off: We three kings of Orient are (THREE KINGS OF ORIENT)
Doxology: Old 100th
Sanctus: Community Mass (Proulx)
Lord's Prayer: chanted (S-119 in Hymnal 1982, if you're interested)
Fraction Anthem: New Plainsong (D. Hurd)
Comm: Glory and Praise to our God (see note below)
Re: Be thou my vision (SLANE)
Postlude: In dir ist Freude, BWV 615 (J. S. Bach)

I have a choir consisting of at least 5 singers, a high-school aged pianist, a guitarist, and a bass guitarist. It's been their custom to pick the Communion music, and sometimes the Offertory music as well. They generally don't choose it until at least an hour before the service. I think I'm going to sit back and assess how they sound together, and allow them to continue that course for the moment. It will also allow me to determine with what repertoire they are comfortable. As of this writing, I still have not yet heard everyone together, thanks to illness and ice storms.


Episcopal Centre at Duke University:

January 13: Epiphany 1 / Baptism of Our Lord Jesus Christ

Prelude: (A slightly better) Improvisation on On Jordan's Bank (WINCHESTER NEW)
Pro: Christ, when for us you were baptized (CAITHNESS)
Gloria: Mathias
Seq: "I come," the great Redeemer cries (THIS ENDRIS NYGHT)
Off: Songs of thankfulness and praise (SALZBURG)
Sanctus: C. Hampton setting (S-127, if you're interested)
Comm: The sinless one to Jordan came (SOLEMNIS HAEC FESTIVITAS)
Re: In Christ there is no East or West (McKEE)

This one is a cozy little service. The congregation is comprised primarily of Duke undergrads and grad students. Services are followed by a dinner, which allows for fellowship, and in the case of the Chaplain and me, music planning. Not bad, I'd say. I discerned that this is a pretty close-knit group of students, which is a very good thing indeed.

No comments: