Thursday, December 8, 2011

Not Again! :(

Early this afternoon, my co-worker came by my office to let me know there was another shooting at Virginia Tech. My first reaction was, "Oh, no! Not again!" The people and community surrounding campus has been through so much; they didn't need something like this on top of it all.

A friend, who is a graduate student over there, reported that she was locked in the library. She said it was an awful tense few hours with high stress and hunger levels. Her message during the 5:00 pm hour, "We got the all clear, y'all," came as a relief. On one hand, I'm glad the ordeal was over for them. On the other hand, I was saddened to hear about the death of a police officer. It was just a routine traffic stop, and the shooter (not the person stopped but someone different) shot the officer, fled on foot, and was eventually found dead.

I cannot imagine what it was like for those on campus, especially those who were directly affected by the shootings in April, 2007. Prayers go to the officer, Deriek Crouse, 39, and his family, as well as his friends and colleagues. More prayers go to the community, who had their hearts broken yet again by senseless violence.

No comments: