Thursday, December 22, 2011

Getting even closer...

Take a look, beyond the moon you see the stars. And when you look around, you know the room by heart...

—V. Degiorgio, D. Schreurs, J. van Wieringen, "A Night Like This" sung by Caro Emerald



Oh. My. Goodness.

Is it really only three days until Christmas? Really, for me, "D-Day" is December 24. On that day, I should already be packed and ready to step on a plane since I won't have a chance to do any packing once all the services are finished.

Speaking of which... one afternoon Christmas Eve service at Carol Woods, one Carol Service, followed by a Christmas Eve service at St. Joseph's, and then the 11:00 pm Christ Mass at Chapel of the Cross. After that, a nap, and then I step on the plane to fly to San Diego.

(Oh, and for those of you who may question why I use the term "D-Day", may I refer you to this site, where they define "D-Day" as The unnamed day on which a particular operation commences or is to commence. So my "operation" is Christmas Eve.)

There is so much to do, so little time in which to do it. Will I worry if I don't finish everything? No. Life is too short to be stressed.

I actually enjoyed sitting down and practicing tonight, though. I didn't really enjoy all the organising and filing... it took way longer than I expected. I still have more practicing to do, but if I sit down and do it over the next couple of days, I should be fine.

I wonder if it should be strange that I seem to be able to practice much better at night. The focus seems to be better. Once upon a time, I had considered myself a morning person. I was able to wake up early in the morning and be super-productive, getting a lot of work done. Nowadays, I can't seem to wake up early and be functional. Perhaps I've become a night-owl. Not my preference... and admittedly, it would be far safer for me if I could manage to practice the organ when it's still daylight outside. Shy, introverted me does not like nor appreciate being approached by those who call the church grounds "home" when it's very late at night, which is why I have been avoiding doing night practice. Unfortunately, I've noticed that my lack of practice has severely affected my playing, but I seem to be able to focus better when I practice at night....

Yes, you can see my dilemma.

People are asking me if I'm looking forward to going home for the first time in 6 years. To be honest, I haven't even thought that far ahead. Let me get through Christmas Eve first. Then, once the last note of the last service has been sung, will I be able to start looking forward to stepping on that plane and spending time with family and friends.

No comments: