Thursday, August 13, 2009

9 August - Tenth Sunday after Pentecost - Proper 14

I have two lists to share with you today.

St. Joseph's Episcopal Church where I played the usual 10:30 am service. As usual, the numbers are out of The Hymnal 1982.

Tenth Sunday after Pentecost: Holy Eucharist Rite II
Prelude: Improvisation on Song 4; Prelude in d minor (attr. Bach); Improvisation on Lauda Anima (because I mis-estimated the time required for my other two pieces, and I had three minutes to kill...)
Processional Hymn: 410, Jesus, lover of my soul (LAUDA ANIMA)
Trisagion: S-100, New Plainsong (Hurd)
Psalm: Ps 130 (Simplified Anglican Chant)
Sequence Hymn: 577, God is love, and where true love is (UBI CARITAS (Murray))
Offertory Hymn: 341, For the bread which you have broken (OMNI DIE)
Sanctus: S-130, Deutsche Messe (Schubert/Proulx))
Lord's Prayer: chanted (S-119 in Hymnal 1982)
Fraction Anthem: S-169, My flesh is food indeed (Urwin)
Communion Hymn: 335, I am the bread of life (BREAD OF LIFE)
Recessional Hymn: 346, Completed, Lord, the Holy Mysteries (SONG 4)
Postlude: Fugue in d minor (attr. J.S. Bach)


Sigh. So my choice for Recessional may not have been the most singable. Oh well.




I played the 4:00 pm service for Carol Woods, which is organised by Chapel of the Cross. During the summer, the music list would generally reflect what was played at the 8:00 am Rite I Eucharist.

The music list:

Tenth Sunday after Pentecost: Holy Eucharist Rite I
Prelude: Adagio from Voluntary in A major (Op. 7, No. 1; J. Stanley)
Processional Hymn: 7, Christ whose glory fills the skies (RATISBON)
Psalm: Psalm 130 (recited)
Offertory Hymn: 321, My God, thy table now is spread (ROCKINGHAM)
Comm: Allegro from Voluntary in A major (Op. 7, No. 1; Stanley)
Recessional Hymn: 411, O bless the Lord, my soul (ST. THOMAS (Williams))
Postlude: Improvisation on St. Thomas

The next Carol Woods service will be on August 23. It will be the last Carol Woods service I play as the Duke Episcopal Center will start their services on August 30.

No comments: