Saturday, August 22, 2009

16 August - Eleventh Sunday after Pentecost - Proper 15

*hangs head in shame*

I have no excuse. This list is quite late.

I only played one service last Sunday.

St. Joseph's Episcopal Church where I played the usual 10:30 am service. As usual, the numbers are out of The Hymnal 1982.

Eleventh Sunday after Pentecost: Holy Eucharist Rite II
Prelude: Adagio from Voluntary I in A Major (Op. 7, No. 1; J. Stanley)
Processional Hymn: 432, O praise ye the Lord! (LAUDATE DOMINUM)
Trisagion: S-100, New Plainsong (Hurd)
Psalm: Ps 111 (Simplified Anglican Chant)
Sequence Hymn: 488, Be thou my vision, O Lord of my heart (SLANE)
Offertory Hymn: 420, When in our music, God is glorified (ENGELBERG)
Sanctus: S-130, Deutsche Messe (Schubert/Proulx))
Lord's Prayer: chanted (S-119 in Hymnal 1982)
Fraction Anthem: S-169, My flesh is food indeed (Urwin)
Communion Hymn: 328, Draw nigh and take the Body of the Lord (SONG 46)
Recessional Hymn: 594, God of grace and God of glory (CWM RHONDDA)
Postlude: Allegro from Voluntary I in A Major (Op. 7, No. 1; Stanley)

I had a couple of oopsies in this service. First of all, I only did half the Psalm. I wasn't even aware that I cut the Psalm short until several people pointed it out to me at the end of service.

Mistake number two: I played the Closing Hymn way too fast. I noticed the congregation was lagging behind me, but I thought if I slowed it down, it will drag. Then afterward, people told me they thought I played it too fast. So I checked it with a metronome. Wouldn't you know it, they were right?

Oh well.

Tomorrow, I have three services to play and one Mass to cantor. I start by cantoring the 7:45 am Mass at Immaculate Conception. Then I play my usual 10:30 am service at St. Joseph's, followed by my last 4:00 pm service at Carol Woods for the summer, then I dash off immediately to Chapel of the Cross, where I play the 5:15 pm service. (Thanks, Brian, for switching with me at the last minute!)

No comments: