Thursday, August 13, 2009

8 August - Nineteenth Sunday in Ordinary Time

I was supposed to have played the Vigil Mass at Immaculate Conception last Saturday. As I was practising a piece on the organ, Brian, the DM, turned up. I was rather surprised, but he explained that at the last minute, he was able to play that Mass after all. He asked me to play the Communion piece so he could direct the choir, plus hear it out in the sanctuary, so I agreed. It was a pretty easy read anyway.

Here is the music, including Brian's prelude and postlude pieces. Any numbers you see come out of GIA's Gather Comprehensive 1994 (green cover), unless otherwise specified.

Saturday 5:30 pm Vigil Mass: Nineteenth Sunday in Ordinary Time
Prelude: Adoro Te Devote (G. Near, from St. Augustine's Organbook)
Hymn in Procession: 547, Sing of the Lord's Goodness (E. Sands)
Gloria: Joyful Gloria (K. Keil)
Psalm: 47, Psalm 34 (M. Haugen)
Gospel Acclamation: 198, Mass of Remembrance (M. Haugen)
Offertory: Rain Down (T. Kendzia)
Sanctus, Mem. Accl., Amen: 297, 298, 299, St. Louis Jesuits Mass (Dufford/Schutte)
Agnus Dei: 314, Holy Cross Mass (D.C. Isele)
Communion: The Hand of the Lord Feeds Us (S.R. Janco)
Recessional Hymn: 558, Lift Up Your Hearts (R. O'Connor)
Postlude: Toccata in F Major (D. Buxtehude)

To be honest, I was glad Brian turned up. I really do not play most of this type of music well at all. So I happily joined the singers in the choir area.

No comments: