Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Miso soup

I went to an Asian supermarket a couple of days ago, and picked up some vegetables and other items I would not be able to easily pick up at the local supermarkets near me.

Amongst the items I bought: freshly made tofu (5 cakes/$2.00) and Okinawan Sweet Potatoes.

I was in a miso soup mood, and it really is one of the easiest things in the world to make.

2 pcs tofu (or if you get it from the supermarket, one container of it will do.)
3 stalks green onion, chopped (green tops only)
4 c water
4 tsp Hon-Dashi
3-4 tbsp miso paste (red or white, your choice)

Place water and Hon-Dashi in a pot and bring to a boil. While doing that, cut the tofu into cubes. Lower the heat to low and add the tofu. Heat through. Add the green onion and allow to heat for a few minutes.

Remove from heat and add the miso paste. Mix gently to ensure the miso paste is dissolved.

Serve immediately.

I used red miso paste. I've used white in the past. IIRC, the difference between red and white is the amount of time the miso paste was fermented. I believe the red was fermented longer than the white.

No comments: