Thursday, December 11, 2008

7 December - Second Sunday of Advent

It figures that I'd be late for this one. Better late than never, eh?

Here are my lists.


The 7.45 am Mass at Immaculate Conception Church. As usual, the numbers come out of GIA's Gather Comprehensive 1994 (green cover):

Sunday 7.45 am Mass: Second Sunday of Advent
Prelude: Comfort, Comfort Ye My People (P. Manz)
Opening Hymn: 334, Savior of the Nations, Come (NUN KOMM DER HEIDEN HEILAND)
Psalm: 79 Psalm 85 (Haugen)
Gospel Acclamation: 187 (Mass of Light)
Off: 321, On Jordan's Bank (WINCHESTER NEW)
Sanctus, Mem. Accl., Amen: 300, 301, 302; Land of Rest Mass
Agnus Dei: 312, Agnus Dei XVIII
Comm: 331, God of All People; Allegretto (Wm. Boyce)
Postlude: Allegretto (G. Böhm)

I decided on the Boyce at the last minute; I knew the Communion song was short, and I wasn't so keen on trying to improvise on it again, so I thought pulling out the Boyce would be a good solution. I had people approach me after Mass and compliment me on that, as well as the other (simple!!!) voluntary music I played.


St. Joseph's Episcopal Church where I played my usual 10.30 am service. As usual, numbers are out of The Hymnal 1982 unless otherwise noted.

Second Sunday of Advent: Rite II
Prelude: Comfort, Comfort Ye My People (P. Manz)
Pro: 67, Comfort, comfort ye my people (PSALM 42)
Trisagion: Enriching Our Music I 54 (Missa Oecumenica; R Proulx)
Psalm: Psalm 85 (Guimont)
Seq: 75, There's a voice in the wilderness crying (ASCENSION)
Off: 53, Once he came in blessing (GOTTES SOHN IST KOMMEN)
Sanctus: Enriching Our Music I 56 (Missa Oecumenica; R Proulx)
Lord's Prayer: chanted (S-119 in Hymnal 1982)
Agnus Dei: Enriching Our Music I 57 (Missa Oecumenica; R Proulx)
Comm: LEVAS II 11, Prepare the way of the Lord; GC I 331, God of All People
Re: 76, On Jordan's bank the Baptist's cry (WINCHESTER NEW)
Postlude: Allegretto (G. Böhm)

Yes, in my mind, "God of all people" is getting a bit overplayed. It was a last-minute addition since I really didn't feel like improvising on "Prepare the way ...". Funny. After all my whingeing on that Song of Thanksgiving I butchered at IC last week, now I program this one out of Lift Every Voice and Sing II, and delude myself that I have the jazz chops to pull it off effectively? My bass guitarist did this one very very well though, and it complimented "God of all people" quite nicely.


Advent Lessons and Carols at the Episcopal Centre at Duke University. Now that was fun. I had a violin, a viola, a trumpet, and a bassoon to accompany the lovely little 3-stop Holtkamp that lives at the Episcopal Centre. Kudos to Sterling, Meg, Laura, and Daniel for the wonderful job they did!

A festive banquet and Lyn Roast ... erm, Hymn Sing followed. Boy am I glad my sight-reading skills have improved since I started organ lessons. They came in very handy during the Hymn Sing!

I'm just going to list the hymns we did during the Lessons and Carols.

25, O Gracious Light (THE EIGHTH TUNE)
60, Creator of the Stars of Night (CONDITOR ALME SIDERUM)
67, Comfort, comfort ye my people (PSALM 42)
59, Hark! a thrilling voice is sounding (MERTON)
65, Prepare the way, O Zion (BEREDEN VAEG FOER HERRAN)
74, Blest be the King (VALET WILL ICH DIR GEBEN)
54, Saviour of the Nations, come (NUN KOMM DER HEIDEN HEILAND)
66, Come, thou long expected Jesus (STUTTGART)
57, Lo! He comes with clouds descending (HELMSLEY)
56, O come, O come Emmanuel (VENI VENI EMMANUEL)
76, On Jordan's bank the Baptist's cry (WINCHESTER NEW)

As a postlude, Daniel and I played the Böhm piece listed above; his bassoon took the pedal line. It actually sounded pretty neat.


Compline at Chapel of the Cross. It's the last of the Fall Semester.

We've been using the Order for Compline, as set by David Hurd.

Here are our little additions:

Ecce concipiens (Jacob Gallus (Handl))
Psalms 4 and 134 (chanted to Tone 8)
Hymn: 60, Creator of the stars of night (CREATOR ALME SIDERUM)
Nunc Dimittis from Short Service (O. Gibbons)
Alma Redemptoris Mater (Marian antiphon right after the Dismissal)
Ave Maria (Josquin Desprez)
Organ Voluntary by the abfab David Arcus.

Actually, David's piece was not an improv, but an actual piece ... on BESANÇON actually ... but I didn't get a chance to ask him who composed it ...

Compline won't start up again until the third Sunday in January, I believe. I thought it was a nice send-off to the students for the completion of their finals, and the winter hols.

No comments: