Thursday, December 25, 2008

21 December - Fourth Sunday of Advent

Sigh. Late again. Yes, I know. It's Christmas. My Christmas lists will be posted shortly.

In the meantime, here is Advent IV.

I cantored the 7.45 am Mass at Immaculate Conception Church. My friend Jane played the organ. I didn't write down what she played as prelude and postlude, but IIRC, both of them were by Bach and came out of the Orgelbüchlein. As usual, the numbers come out of GIA's Gather Comprehensive 1994 (green cover):

Sunday 7.45 am Mass: Fourth Sunday of Advent
Opening Hymn: 327, When the King shall come again (GAUDEAMUS PARITER)
Psalm: Psalm 89 (Guimont)
Gospel Acclamation: 187 (Mass of Light)
Off: 317, O come, O come Emmanuel (VENI, VENI EMMANUEL)
Sanctus, Mem. Accl., Amen: 300, 301, 302; Land of Rest Mass
Agnus Dei: 312, Agnus Dei XVIII
Comm: 337, Creator of the Stars of Night (CREATOR ALME SIDERUM; chanted a cappella in Latin)
Postlude: Organist voluntary

After Mass, there were several people who approached me and asked me what that Communion chant was, and I told them, directing them to the Hymnal for the English. (This is despite the fact the number was posted on the electronic hymnboard.) They complimented me on my chanting, and said it was really really nice to hear Latin. Frankly speaking, I did prefer to sing the Latin (link above has the Latin lyrics, along with an English translation), as I am not keen on how GIA's editors messed with the English translation. I mean, come on:
To God Creator, God the Son, and God the Spirit, Three in One
You can only guess which part of that I object to. Sigh.

Moving right along ...

St. Joseph's Episcopal Church where I played my usual 10.30 am service. As usual, numbers are out of The Hymnal 1982 unless otherwise noted.

Fourth Sunday of Advent: Holy Eucharist Rite II
Prelude: Prière à Notre Dame (from Suite Gothique; L. Boëllmann)
Pro: 56, O come, O come, Emmanuel (VENI, VENI EMMANUEL)
Trisagion: Enriching Our Music I 54 (Missa Oecumenica; R Proulx)
Psalm: S-242; Canticle 15 (Magnificat; Tonus Peregrinus)
Seq: 265, The angel Gabriel from heaven came (GABRIEL'S MESSAGE)
Off: 60, Creator of the Stars of Night (CREATOR ALME SIDERUM)
Sanctus: Enriching Our Music I 56 (Missa Oecumenica; R Proulx)
Lord's Prayer: chanted (S-119 in Hymnal 1982)
Agnus Dei: Enriching Our Music I 57 (Missa Oecumenica; R Proulx)
Comm: I sing of a maiden (P. Hadley; Dolores Brine, soprano; Lisa Miller, mezzo-soprano); GC I 342, Night of Silence (D. Kantor; sung without Silent Night)
Re: 66, Come, thou long expected Jesus (STUTTGART)
Postlude: Passacaglia in f minor (A. Raison, as found in The Parish Organist.)

As for the Hymn Sing that occurred after the service ... well, I played through the list whilst others were hanging the greens around the church. Click the link to see what those hymns were.

No comments: