Sunday, December 14, 2008

14 December - Third Sunday of Advent

I'm earlier this time. Here are my lists. I have only two today.

St. Joseph's Episcopal Church where I played my usual 10.30 am service. As usual, numbers are out of The Hymnal 1982 unless otherwise noted.

Third Sunday of Advent: Rite II
Prelude: In dulci jubilo (BWV 751; J.S. Bach)
Pro: 437, Tell out my soul, the greatness of the Lord (BIRMINGHAM)
Trisagion: Enriching Our Music I 54 (Missa Oecumenica; R Proulx)
Psalm: Psalm 126 (Guimont)
Seq: 76, On Jordan's bank the Baptist's cry (WINCHESTER NEW)
Off: 64, O heavenly Word, eternal Light (O HEILAND, REISS)
Sanctus: Enriching Our Music I 56 (Missa Oecumenica; R Proulx)
Lord's Prayer: chanted (S-119 in Hymnal 1982)
Agnus Dei: Enriching Our Music I 57 (Missa Oecumenica; R Proulx)
Comm: In dulci jubilo (arr. R. L. de Pearsall)
Re: 72, Hark the glad sound! the Savior comes (RICHMOND)
Postlude: Vom Himmel Hoch (J.G. Walther)

From my vantage point, I do hear the congregation singing the service music. That makes me feel happy. Hmmm. I suppose that's something I can add to my Happy Meme over on LJ.

I received some compliments over how nice the choir was sounding. They had a difficult time reading the music for their anthem today (and I will admit - it wasn't the easiest thing to read, either). But I'm glad at how they are coming along. And, of course, so is the appreciative congregation.

Ah, and for those who are interested in helping to Put Up the Greens in the church next Sunday afternoon after lunch: yes, there will be another Lyn Roast ... erm, I mean Hymn Sing. So think up of which Christmas songs you want me to play. I'll accept requests. (Demetrias, I can already guess what your request will be ... perhaps something similar to what you requested last Sunday? Maggie S. and Kate R., I might very well put your requests at the top of the queue. :-)


I was supposed to have played the 5.15 pm service at Chapel of the Cross this afternoon; however, because the Parish Choir was going to sing two anthems that had to be accompanied, Van Quinn decided to play and asked that I sing with the choir. So I sang alto for this group. It was such a treat to listen to Van play once again ... he's been doing this for so long, despite one being unable to see the altar from the organ console, he still timed his improvs exactly. I'd love to learn how to do that!

Third Sunday of Advent: Rite II
Prelude: Nun komm, der Heiden Heiland (BWV 659; J.S. Bach)
Pro: 73, The King shall come when morning dawns (ST STEPHEN)
Psalm: Psalm 126 (recited)
Seq: 640, Watchmen, tell us of the night (ABERYSTWYTH)
Off: Rejoice in the Lord alway ("The Bell Anthem"; H. Purcell, using his "Bell Symphony" as introduction), followed by an improvisation on that theme.
Sanctus: S-124, New Plainsong Mass (D. Hurd)
Comm: Adam lay ybounden (B. Ord), followed by an improvisation on that theme.
Re: 74, Blest be the King (VALET WILL ICH DIR GEBEN)
Postlude: Valet will ich dir geben (BWV 735; J.S. Bach)

Hearing all this wonderful organ music makes me want to go off and practice. But first, I must get some rest. Two hours of sleep before a full Sunday is not conducive to top performance, I will readily admit that.

Music: uStreaming "The Daily Breakfast" with Fr Roderick on SQPN.com

No comments: