Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Highlight of My Day, 16 June

I am borrowing a page from Mike K. as I write my first and only Highlight of My Day. (I wouldn't want to steal the thunder from you, Mayor-dear. :) )

I was asked, for the first time in at least five years, to act as stop assistant for an organist playing the noon-time demos on the Flentrop organ at Duke University Chapel. Not even a lack of parking would prevent me from helping out a friend whilst enjoying being up in the gallery once again. Brian C. played a couple of pieces by Bach, and other works by Langlais, Mendelssohn, and Widor. As I was pulling stops and turning pages, I was admiring his keyboard and pedalling technique. He'll be playing the organ at his father's wedding coming up soon, and I'm sure he'll do just fine. Thanks, Brian, for sharing your music and for giving me the opportunity to help you. I'd be happy to help you again in the future.

Right after I left Brian, I met my friend Maria D., who is a graduate student in the Department of Religion at Duke. We decided to go to my favourite Chinese restaurant in this area, China Palace. I was first introduced to this place by my friend, Rose H., who at the time, was a resident at Duke Hospitals. She returns to the Triangle area once a year for a week-long conference organised by the Duke's Radiology Department, and when she does, China Palace is always one of her stops. The food there is wonderful, and I always order from their "special" menu. Last Sunday, I ate there with my friend David D., and ordered Chinese Eggplant with Pork and Black Beans. Today, I ordered Beef with Bittermelon. Both dishes were wonderfully prepared. Both Maria and David expressed satisfaction with the food and indicated they would be happy to return for more.

Alright, so that was two highlights. Pity that I missed Fr. Roderick Vonhögen and other SQPN fans in the uStream chatroom as he recorded another episode of the Daily Breakfast. At least I was able to join them for the post-show chat.

That does it for my one-and-only HOMD. I shall happily return it to Mayor Mike.

No comments: