Sunday, June 7, 2009

31 May - Feast of Pentecost (Whitsunday)

As usual, here are my music lists for Sunday services.

My turn for cantoring came up at Immaculate Conception. Any numbers you see come out of GIA's Gather Comprehensive 1994 (green cover). I didn't note the voluntary pieces Jane played for this Mass, so I will list only the hymns she programmed.

Sunday 7:45 am Mass: Feast of Pentecost
Hymn in Procession: 461, O Holy Spirit, by whose breath (VENI CREATOR SPIRITUS)
Gloria: 157, Mass of Creation (Haugen)
Psalm: Psalm 104, (antiphon 101 (P. Lisicky); verses set to Tone VIII)
Gospel Acclamation: 261 (A.G. Murray)
Offertory: 465, Come down, O love divine (DOWN AMPNEY)
Sanctus, Mem. Accl., Amen, Agnus Dei: 166-168; 171, Mass of Creation
Communion Hymn: 460, Veni Creator Spiritus (Plainsong, Mode VIII)
Recessional Hymn: 469, Come, Holy Ghost (LAMBILLOTTE)

Cheers to Fr. Dan for allowing us to sing all four verses of the Recessional Hymn. :) He didn't start recessing down the aisle until the beginning of the fourth verse. Yes, it's a Doxology (if you know the text of that hymn), but it's nice to know that no part of this text got shortchanged because of the concept of Hymn as Travelling Music that seems to be quite prevalent in the Roman Catholic liturgy.

Also, once again, I received a lot of positive feedback concerning the Latin at Communion. Thanks to a good friend of mine (thanks, Chris! :) ), I have a copy of the Adoremus Hymnal, and will definitely pereuse that for ideas for the next time I cantor a Mass at IC.

I will be subbing for a few Masses during the summer, but mostly the Saturday 5:30 pm Vigil Mass or the Sunday 7:45 am Masses (when I am not cantoring). Look for my lists then (and I do promise to post them in a more timely manner!)




St. Joseph's Episcopal Church where I played the usual 10:30 am service. As usual, the numbers are out of The Hymnal 1982.

Feast of Pentecost (Whitsunday): Holy Eucharist Rite II
Prelude: Komm, Heiliger Geist, Herr Gott (BuxWV 199, Dietrich Buxtehude)
Processional Hymn: 225, Hail thee, festival day! (SALVE FESTA DIES)
Gloria: S-280 (Powell)
Psalm: Ps 104 (Simplified Anglican Chant)
Sequence Hymn: 228, Holy Spirit, font of light (WEBBE)
Offertory Hymn: 504, Come, Holy Ghost, our souls inspire (VENI CREATOR SPIRITUS; Plainsong, Mode 8)
Sanctus: S-125, Community Mass (Proulx)
Lord's Prayer: chanted (S-119 in Hymnal 1982)
Fraction Anthem: S-154, New Plainsong (Hurd)
Communion Anthem: Come down, O Love divine (H. Tadman-Robins)
Recessional Hymn: 516, Come down, O Love divine (DOWN AMPNEY)
Postlude: Fugue in C Major (BuxWV 174, "Gigue," Buxtehude)

I should be so proud of myself - I did not make a mistake with "Hail thee, festival day!" And the choir did wonderfully with the Communion Anthem. It's a small group, but they are singing together quite nicely.




Next service: My turn came up to play the the 5:15 pm service at Chapel of the Cross. I sang the Offertory and Communion anthems with the Parish Choir. This was their last service before their summer break.

Prelude: Komm, Heiliger Geist, Herr Gott (BuxWV 199, Dietrich Buxtehude)
Processional Hymn: 225, Hail thee, festival day! (SALVE FESTA DIES)
Gloria: S-280 (Powell)
Psalm: Psalm 104, recited
Sequence Hymn: 230, A mighty sound from heaven (SONG OF THE HOLY SPIRIT)
Offertory: Behold now, praise the Lord (E. Titcomb)
Sanctus: S-125 Community Mass (R. Proulx)
Communion Hymn: 505, O Spirit of Life, O Spirit of God (O HEILIGER GEIST)
Communion Motet: If ye love me (T. Tallis)
Recessional Hymn: 516, Come down, O Love divine (DOWN AMPNEY)
Postlude: Fugue in C Major (BuxWV 174, "Gigue," Buxtehude)

Van Quinn commented to me on the flourish I add at the end of the Gigue fugue, saying something like it was a nice way to put the liturgical stamp on this piece, kind of like an "Amen" at the end. I grinned at that assessment. It was my organ teacher, Tim Baker, who suggested I did that flourish. Honestly, everything I know at the organ came from him. Well, and a few other friends as well, but mostly from Tim. He is a wonderful teacher, and I wish I had the opportunity to continue taking lessons from him.

I had forgotten what a wonderful treasure trove the music of Everett Titcomb is. I will definitely revisit a catalogue of his works in hopes that I could find a piece (or more) my choir could sing. The anthem we sung for Offertory is an example of his wonderful works, and I also remember a nice Epiphany anthem I sang at a joint Evensong service between St. Stephen's Episcopal Church and Grace Lutheran (LC/MS) Church several years ago.

No comments: