Sunday, June 7, 2009

7 June - Trinity Sunday

Ah, I am now caught up with my music lists. :)

I only had one service today. Gasp! What was I to do with myself with only one service in the morning? Well, I am catching up with my blog posts for one! :)

Here is music list for today's service.

St. Joseph's Episcopal Church where I played the usual 10:30 am service. As usual, the numbers are out of The Hymnal 1982.

Feast of Pentecost (Whitsunday): Holy Eucharist Rite II
Prelude: Allein Gott in der Höh sei Ehr (F. Zachau and J.G. Walther)
Processional Hymn: 370, I bind unto myself today (ST. PATRICK'S BREASTPLATE)
Trisagion: S-100, New Plainsong (Hurd)
Psalm: Canticle 13 (Simplified Anglican Chant)
Sequence Hymn: 367, Round the Lord in glory seated (RUSTINGTON)
Offertory Hymn: 324, Let all mortal flesh keep silence (PICARDY)
Sanctus: S-130, Deutsche Messe (Schubert/Proulx)
Lord's Prayer: chanted (S-119 in Hymnal 1982)
Fraction Anthem: S-169, My flesh is food indeed (Urwin)
Communion Anthem: Bless we the Father, the Song, and the Holy Ghost (H. Willan)
Communion Hymn: Father, we love you (GLORIFY YOUR NAME; D. Adkins)
Recessional Hymn: 362, Holy, Holy, Holy (NICAEA)
Postlude: Menuet from Suite Gothique (L. Boëllmann)

*hangs head in shame*

I made a similar mistake with the Opening Hymn that I did with "Hail thee, festival day". I completely missed the fact that for vs 2-5, there is an extra motif, so when the congregation started singing a different melody than what I was playing, I thought, oops. I scanned the music carefully and noticed that I completely missed one page, so I stopped and started again, and the congregation joined me once they figured out what I was doing.

So this is yet another example of when the organist makes a mistake, the entire ship goes down. Sigh.

On an up note: from the Anglican Music listserv, one of the regular posters offered to those interested his own free-accompaniments for St. Patrick's Breastplate. I'll definitely have a look and consider using it next year. :)

Admittedly, pieces such as the Communion song I programmed is not exactly of a style I'm very comfortable with, but the congregation really liked it, so I guess I'll have to see if I can find a source of accompaniments that go along with the in-house St. Joseph's hymnal. Luckily, this is where contacts with music director friends who do this type of music in their churches come in very handy indeed. I just might give them a ring within the next several days.

Hopefully, I'll get back to some semi-regular blogging. Look for my posts either here, or if it's related to creative writing or the Harry Potter fandom, on my LJ. Cheers to all, and have a wonderful week. :)

No comments: